Details: hourly wage, 40 hours per week year round with some limited overtime
23400 Ridge Road
Red Wiggler Community Farm is a non-profit sustainable farm in Germantown, MD where people with and without developmental disabilities come together to work, learn and grow healthy food. At our 12-acre certified Organic farm, sixteen adults with developmental disabilities work alongside volunteers to grow food to distribute through our Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) Program. The CSA program includes local families, residents of group homes and low income members of our community.
Through our Education Program over 700 individuals, many of which have developmental disabilities, visit our farm each year to learn about sustainable agriculture, healthy eating, and environmental stewardship. Participants come from all over the region to engage in sensory based, hands-on experiences. We also offer a unique opportunity for young people with developmental disabilities to be inspired by observing other people like them being paid for jobs which provide meaning and self-fulfillment.
The ideal candidate has experience as a farm or garden educator and is passionate about environmental education. Preference will be given to individuals with experience working with individuals with developmental or intellectual disabilities.
Essential Job Functions include but are not limited to:
- Recruit and host field trips and hands-on farm tours
- Develop and implement curriculum
- Coordinate on-farm vocational training opportunities for youth with developmental disabilities
- Support Growers interested in working in the Education Program and in other ways as needed
- Program goal setting and evaluation
- Supervise 1 education Intern and potential education volunteers
- Maintain our hands-on and interactive Discovery Garden
- Be the face of our on-farm CSA pick-ups including overseeing all customer relations aspects of CSA on-farm pick-ups (a deeply educational program) including registration, communications, being present at weekly pick-ups and ensuring educational and inclusive experiences
- Act as a Crew Leader in farm activities 5-10 hours a week (may vary seasonally)
- 2-3 years experience teaching groups in an experiential setting plus 1 season of working on a sustainable farm
- Experience using CiviCRM or a similar database
- Demonstrated understanding of what it means to build a vibrant and inclusive community.
- Strong computer/technical skills and experience with data collection/tracking
- Ability to communicate effectively and resolve conflicts and work as part of a team
- Physical Requirement: able to work outdoors in bad weather, bend and kneel on the ground, lift/carry up to 50 pounds.
Leave: Year 1 - 15 days; Year 2 - 30 days; Year 3 - 35 days; 8 National Holidays
Health and Dental Insurance starts on day one of employment, we pay 100%
Disability and Life Insurance
401k Retirement Plan: eligible after one year
Minimum Education Required