Full Time Temporary
95 Prospect Park West
Prospect Park Alliance
Project Coordinator, Volunteer Corps (Seasonal)
Founded in 1987, Prospect Park Alliance is the non-profit organization that sustains, restores and advances Prospect Park, "Brooklyn's Backyard," in partnership with the City. The Alliance provides critical staff and resources that keep the Park green and vibrant for the diverse communities that call Brooklyn home.
Be part of the driving force that sustains Prospect Park, Brooklyn's flagship park. The Prospect Park Alliance seeks an experienced Project Coordinator to collaborate with our motivated Volunteer Office. The Project Coordinator will assist with all aspect of our volunteer program including: creating safe outdoor volunteer activities with 10-600 diverse participants of all ages, community outreach, communicating with other Parks staff, and performing administrative duties.
The Volunteer Corps works with more than 3,000 volunteers annually who give close to 20,000 hours of volunteer time, playing a crucial role in the maintenance and beautification of Prospect Park. Teams, led by Volunteer Office staff, work on a variety of projects, including mulching, painting, weeding, removing invasive species, rebuilding forest and a variety of other park maintenance projects.
The Project Coordinator will be responsible for:
- Work independently and as a team to plan, prepare, and supervise volunteer activities.
- Carry out fieldwork and train volunteers to safely assist with outdoor restoration, beautification, and cleanups in all types of weather.
- Communicate with volunteers and Parks staff by phone, mail, and email.
- Liaison with community groups and corporate partners to schedule and book volunteer events
- Perform office work including, copying, filing, and data input. Use Word, Excel, and database software to create reports, events descriptions, correspondences, and other daily office needs.
- Assist in daily tool room and vehicle upkeep, including vehicle & inventory tracking, tool care, glove laundry, fueling vehicles, and other outdoor and indoor tasks.
- Assist Volunteer Corps staff with various planning initiatives.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- At least two years of experience in horticulture or landscaping.
- Experience in community work or community centered activities for diverse peoples of all ages.
- Have good physical stamina including the ability to lift up to 25 lbs for sustained periods of time.
- Possess a professional, positive attitude and a willingness to pitch in at all times.
- Good customer service skills and experience working with the public.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and computer proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Experienced driver with a driver’s license valid in the New York State.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends.
The schedule for this position is generally 9AM-5PM, five days per week. Weekly schedule will vary and weekends and evenings are required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prospect Park Alliance is an equal employment opportunity employer. Although we appreciate your interest, we will only contact applicants we are considering for interview.