Position: Director of Development
Reports to: President and CEO
Classification: Full Time/Exempt
Established in May of 2008 and incorporated as an independent 501(c)(3) in July 2015, the Linked Learning Alliance is the engine that drives a movement to help every young person determine his or her own future through a proven educational approach called Linked Learning. Linked Learning integrates rigorous academics with real-world learning and strong support services to prepare students for success in college, career, and life. The Alliance helps create public will for equity and excellence in education, elevates the practice of Linked Learning across America, and advances policies that serve and support all youth.
In partnership with the President and Senior Leadership Team, the Director will help spearhead all fundraising and development activities as the Alliance continues to grow. A new position in the organization, the Director will have the opportunity to design the fund development function, building on the Alliance’s past record of success, to expand and diversify a revenue pipeline that supports our aspirational goals for expansion. The Director will help forge new relationships to build the Alliance’s visibility, impact, and financial resources and develop key external alliances by cultivating philanthropic, corporate and individual support in California and nationally.
The ideal candidate brings experience and a demonstrated track record of success in designing diverse funding portfolios and genuine enthusiasm for applying those skills and talents to the growth of the Linked Learning Alliance and its mission of advancing educational justice in communities in California and beyond. We seek an individual who has an interest in education, youth and workforce development, and social justice, and who shares our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. Superb interpersonal, collaboration, and communication skills are vital for this role.
Reporting to the President and CEO, the Director of Development (“Director”) will serve as a key member of the Alliance’s growing and emerging team and as an active participant in helping to activate a strategic vision anchored in achieving equity and excellence for students across the U.S. through high-quality college and career preparation.
· Systematically and effectively strengthen the organization's overall fundraising capacity by establishing and implementing the infrastructure needed to grow a $3.5 million annual budget.
· Partner with the President and Senior Leadership Team to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy to include corporate and foundation support, federal and state grants, and individual gifts.
· Work to establish effective day-to-day strategy and long-term vision to maximize revenue through the major and planned giving programs.
· Work collaboratively with President, Senior Leadership Team, Board Members, and other partners to support fund development efforts by helping identify high-leverage opportunities, conveying Linked Learning and the Alliance’s value add to external partners, and actively cultivating funder relationships.
· Oversee research on funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position the Alliance ahead of major funding changes or trends.
· Support Board Members and engage the Board’s Fund Development Committee as they take on a more active fundraising role.
· Create a strategic fundraising plan with action steps to match the Alliance’s values and goals with those of prospective investors.
· Partner with the President and Senior Leadership Team to set strategic annual fund development goals and metrics for measuring progress.
· Assume primary responsibility for development and execution of all proposals; write and collaborate to develop effective proposals, and oversee grant writers, as needed.
· Develop, track, and archive proposals and grant reports.
· Cultivate and engage funder partners to advance sustained interest and investment.
· Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program; provide and present statistical analysis to the Board and Senior Leadership Team.
· Monitor and maintain donor information; develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with investors.
· Serve as an Alliance spokesperson at external functions and present at conferences and events, and support with the planning of special fundraising events as needed.
· Identify needs, structure, and fund development talent to support strategy.
· Work with the Salesforce Administrator to integrate grants management functions to track and manage current and prospective donors.
· Bachelors’ degree required. Masters’ degree or recognized certifications for fundraising professionals a plus.
· 5-plus years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization; demonstrated success in a development function (managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources).
· Thorough knowledge of development department functions, including donor identification and solicitation, cultivation, and stewardship.
· Tangible experience of having expanded and cultivated existing donor relationships over time.
· Ability to construct, articulate, and implement annual strategic development plan.
· Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
· Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships.
· Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives.
· Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside the Linked Learning Alliance.
· High energy and passion for Linked Learning Alliance’s mission is essential.
· A professional and resourceful style; the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time.
· Ability to ensure an inclusive working environment that supports diverse populations.
· Capacity to communicate effectively with people from diverse backgrounds and experiences.
· Ability to receive and give supportive feedback to foster equity and inclusion in working relationships.
· Previous experience with Salesforce-based donor management platforms.
· Superb interpersonal and collaboration skills are vital for this role.
· Comfort and confidence working in a fast-paced environment and at the forefront of a growing field—including ability to manage multiple priorities and tasks simultaneously, adapt to new inputs or opportunities/needs, and have equal comfort managing and actively participating in organizational endeavors.
· Strategic and creative thinker that can turn ideas into action and thrive in a start-up organization.
· Proactive leader with a solid ability to identify and address needs, multi-task and effectively juggle competing priorities.
· Willingness and ability to travel to advance regional and national work – not to exceed 25% of time (when safe).
· Work effectively in a blended work environment – balancing working virtually with weekly in-person meetings in a shared physical workspace.
· Ability to play an active role in developing and maintaining a professional, rewarding, and effective work environment.
· Deep commitment to advancing the values of diversity, equity and inclusion and community awareness.
Linked Learning Alliance offers a highly competitive compensation commensurate with experience and comprehensive benefits package.
The Linked Learning Alliance office is located in San Francisco, however applicants will be considered from anywhere in California.
If you would like to apply, please send your résumé and a cover letter to HR@linkedlearning.org. Applications without cover letters will not be considered. Indicate the position title in the subject line of the email for the fastest consideration. In your cover letter, please share how your experience, competencies, skills, and interests are a good match for this position.
The Linked Learning Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.
The Alliance is committed to equity, embraces diversity as an asset, and practices inclusivity. These values strengthen our culture, help us fulfill our mission, and contribute to a better world. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religious beliefs, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Position: Director of Development
Reports to: President and CEO
Classification: Full Time/Exempt
Established in May of 2008 and incorporated as an independent 501(c)(3) in July 2015, the Linked Learning Alliance is the…
If you would like to apply, please send your résumé and a cover letter to HR@linkedlearning.org. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Indicate the position title in the subject line of the email for the fastest consideration. In your cover letter, please share how your experience, competencies, skills, and interests are a good match for this position.
If you would like to apply, please send your résumé and a cover letter to HR@linkedlearning.org. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Indicate the position…