Details: According to experience
About the Organization
Founded in 1992, Apex for Youth delivers possibilities to underserved Asian and immigrant youth in New York City by recruiting volunteers to be positive role models for them. Through our mentoring, educational, and athletic programs for students from 1st through 12th grade, Apex volunteers guide and inspire youth to become confident young adults who are ready for college and give back to the community. Today, Apex serves over 1,000 youth with the help of over 300 volunteers. We are proud of our tremendous growth in recent years and are looking to expand our educational services and the positive impact on our youth.
Apex for Youth is seeking a passionate and motivated professional to join our team. The ideal candidate has demonstrated success in overall program management, including program planning and design, curriculum development, and volunteer management. Prior experience working with youth is required.
Reporting to the Educational Program Manager and Program Directors, the part-time Elementary Educational Program Coordinator will help provide administration for and implementation of our Saturday elementary school test prep program at a new site in Brooklyn starting this November.
Part-time Elementary Educational Program Coordinator
Apex for Youth, Inc. - New York, NY 10006
Responsibilities and Duties
- Manage Apex’s volunteer-led tutoring program for elementary school students on Saturday sessions during the school year. Help develop an engaging, high-quality curriculum tailored to the needs of the students, many of whom are recent immigrant Chinese ELLs (English Language Learners). Curriculum will include test preparation for the statewide ELA and math exams and may also include project-based and social-emotional activities.
- Tutoring program will meet on Saturdays at site in Brooklyn. The other days of the work schedule will be spent in the Apex office in downtown Manhattan.
- Recruit, screen, and train volunteers to ensure quality interactions between volunteers and students. Provide weekly on-site supervision and support at scheduled Saturday sessions.
- Maintain positive and collaborative relationships with principals and administrative staff at partner school.
- Communicate with students and volunteers to monitor students’ performance, progress, and achievement of goals; document case management notes.
- Collect and analyze evaluation data, including surveys to students and volunteers for feedback; implement changes based on evaluations; and generate program reports.
- Participate in Apex organizational events and initiatives.
- Perform other duties as required.
Qualifications and Skills
- Proficiency in Mandarin required
- Bachelor’s degree in related field with 2+ years of experience leading educational or youth programs, preferably for elementary school students
- Experience working with Asian American community
- Ability to develop a program curriculum and facilitate large group sessions
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Strong communication and public speaking skills
- Ability to think quickly and creatively to generate solutions
- Ability to work independently and take ownership of programs, as well as work with and support a team
- Excellent organizational skills, including time management and attention to detail
- Available to work on Saturdays and occasional weeknights for work events
- Strong computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office and G-suite
- Proficiency and experience with Salesforce preferred
Job Type: Part-time
Required experience: 2 Years
Required education: Bachelor's
Required language: English, Mandarin
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Elementary Coordinator - YOUR NAME”. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. No mailed applications.
Looking to hire immediately. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.