Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
Our dynamic Development Department is responsible for raising over $500 million annually to support the mission of the organization. The Major Gifts unit is responsible for managing relationships with close to 2,500 individuals giving over $25,000 in a 24-month period. The team’s income goal for 2021 is over $100M.
Are you a roll-up-your-sleeves go-getter with a knack for multi-tasking? Do you thrive in a fast paced, environment? Do you love being organized and get satisfaction from seeing projects through to completion? If so, we would love to hear from you.
The Major Gifts Associate plays a critical role in the complex and varied relationship management that defines the Major Gifts unit. Under the direction of the Director of Major Gifts, you will work cross-departmentally to coordinate gift processing, gift tax and personal acknowledgments, data requests, route donor inquiries and provide support as required by the Major Gifts team.
- Point person for all major gift processing including recording donations in TY database; alerting officers of gifts and follow-up with donor as needed via phone or email. Works closely with the Gift Processing team to ensure accurate and timely processing of gifts.
- Manages all aspects of donor data cleanup, including but not limited to creating and updating individual donor records, merging duplicate accounts, and coding gifts. Conducts routine data entry/review/analysis of all donor data, keeping database current and accurate.
- Manages distribution of tax receipts each week. Maintains systems for expected and received gifts, assigning and tracking personalized thank-you’s to major donors. Makes recommendations for improving processes.
- Submits all Workfront requests for Major Gifts to the Data Analytics team. This includes source code creation, contact history upload, pulling mailing lists, etc.
- Serves as team focal point for donor inquiries via email or phone that are routed via front desk, donor services, and other teams.
- Maintains relationships with Donor Advised Funds to ensure smooth transition and gift processing.
- Works with external vendors to ensure timely and personalized gift acknowledgments.
- Responsible for querying and reporting of monthly and quarterly statistics, revenue and other reports; disseminates to Major Gifts team to monitor KPIs.
- In coordination with members of the Major Gift team, assists in the development, documentation and update of Major Gifts best practices and procedures.
- Managing all aspects of the Multiyear Initiative including tracking and recording intents and ensuring Operations and Finance, as necessary, have accurately coded documents; last-payment note and other ad-hoc mailings and materials.
- Oversees all aspects of yearly “Permission to Publish” process for Annual Report, including tracking of donor listing preferences, updating in database, review proofs and ensure coordination amongst other units across the Development and Communications departments.
- Contributes to the generation of revenue by supporting the Major Gifts Annual Plan, and in particular, by ensuring the integrity of donor data and contributing to research. Is responsible for maintaining the privacy of donors’ personal and financial data.
- Compiles and writes weekly “Donor Highlights” email featuring prominent gifts, messages and latest program updates to the Major Gifts team.
- Provides general administrative support to Director of Major Gifts as needed.
- Two years of related work experience at a non-profit, in a major gifts team is preferred but not essential.
- Experience with and knowledge of donor databases and contacts management, preferably SalesForce NPSP.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee data integrity and coordinate systems that improve efficiency.
- Strong computer literacy, particularly in importing/exporting data, formatting and basic formulas in Access and Excel.
- Keen attention to detail, superior record-keeping skills and the ability to work with large amounts of data for extended periods of time.
- Excellent time management, organizational and prioritization skills. Ability to handle a large volume of work and to work well under pressure and with deadlines.
- Project management experience, including demonstrated ability to identify and anticipate obstacles, and judge when and how to engage key stakeholders with discretion.
- Strong interpersonal and written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to work using initiative with a minimum of supervision.
Please note that neither relocation assistance Nor visa sponsorship will be offered for this position.
No phone calls and emails please. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
MSF-USA/Doctors Without Borders is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No employee, or applicant for employment, shall be discriminated against in any term or condition of employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law. We are constantly striving to make our organization anti-racist. Diversity, equity and inclusion are core values. As an employee, you become part of that mission. We expect this same commitment from our staff.
Pay Class & Contract Type
Regular FT Salaried Exempt
Starting salary low 60 to mid 60's (commensurate with experience)
Working Time (Hours Per Week)