10 City Square
Summary Description: The Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC), America's oldest conservation, education and recreation organization, is seeking a Program Coordinator to support our Outdoors Rx MetroWest site and oversee program communication and outreach.
Established in 2013, Outdoors Rx offers programs for families with children ages 0-13 in the Greater Boston communities of Chelsea, Revere, East Boston, Mattapan, Dorchester, Roxbury, Waltham and Framingham. Based on the significant research showing that spending time in nature can improve physical, emotional and mental health, Outdoors Rx helps residents adopt healthier, more active lifestyles by reducing the most common barriers to the outdoors – cost, access, information and equipment. We offer guided year-round, outdoor family programming in local green space, including nature explorations, walks, and group games.
As the Program Coordinator, you will plan seasonal program offerings for your region, and recruit participants through building relationships with medical and community partners and families. This includes program administration and logistics, and lead engaging outdoor programs with families. Additionally, the Program Coordinator will support the marketing, communications, and outreach efforts of the Outdoors Rx team.
MetroWest Program Coordination:
- Program Planning & Delivery: Develop and deliver family-based programs, typically 60-90 minutes in length, which spark dynamic participant experiences and encourage continued outdoor engagement.
- Medical Partner Engagement: Support prescribers, conduct office visits, and provide program materials.
- Family/Community Engagement: Contact potential participants who receive referrals to encourage participation.
- Partnership Development: Seek out, develop, and maintain appropriate partnerships with community organizations.
- Data Collection and Reporting: document program outcomes and lessons learned, collect participant data, take photos, and compile program highlights.
- Risk Management: Implement AMC and Outdoors Rx risk management guidelines.
- Travel to and from AMC Headquarters and Outdoors Rx communities as needed.
Marketing, Communication and Outreach:
- Support the marketing, communication and outreach needs of the Outdoors Rx team.
- Maintain brand consistency and quality in external communications.
- Manage and grow Outdoors Rx social media presence.
- Collect and organize program stories, quotes and photos.
- Encourage family participation by posting programs from all regions on community listservs, websites, Facebook, Twitter, and more.
- Write and send timely and engaging weekly family and monthly partner emails.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Experience with community engagement.
- Experience facilitating family or youth programs.
- Strong interpersonal skills and interest in working with people from a diverse range of backgrounds and outdoor experiences.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment as well as independently.
- Excellent written and oral communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to work one weekend day and occasional evenings.
- Spanish language proficiency.
- Ability to carry up to 15+ pounds of program supplies with ease.
- Must have own reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license.
- Wilderness First Aid and CPR (can be obtained upon hire).
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Demonstrated experience in program and partnership management.
- Knowledge of Waltham and Framingham neighborhoods and parks.
- Experience working with MailChimp, Eventbrite, Google Drive, and social media platforms.
Employee Benefits: In addition to a 30% discount on all merchandise sold at AMC Destinations, access to various Pro Deals that help you purchase gear at deeply reduced rates and a one-year AMC membership, year round employees are also eligible for...
- Group health plan with generous employer contribution.
- Group life and AD&D insurance, 100 percent employer paid.
- Long term disability insurance, 100 percent employer paid.
- Retirement plan with matching contributions.
- Paid vacation time, 20 days.
- Paid sick time, 10 days.
- Paid holidays, 13 days.
- 10 free nights for you and your immediately family members at AMC Destinations.
To Apply: Please include your resume and a cover letter when applying. In your cover letter, please highlight your program and marketing/communication experience. No phone calls, please.
The Appalachian Mountain Club has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
The AMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in the workplace. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status. Join us!
Minimum Education Required