MassBudget is seeking a well-organized, dynamic, and highly effective Development Writer who shares our staff and board's enthusiasm for our mission: producing non-partisan policy research, analysis, and data-driven recommendations focused on improving the lives of low- and middle-income children and adults, strengthening our state’s economy and enhancing the quality of life in Massachusetts. The nature of development work at MassBudget requires an understanding of the policy issues we cover. Under the direction of the Director of Development, the Development Writer will create written documents to support the organization’s fundraising efforts with private foundations, organizations, and individuals.
MassBudget conducts rigorous policy research, always with an eye towards presenting our work in ways that are accessible to and easily used by grassroots organizations, the media, policy advocates, policy makers, and anyone else working to make life better in our Commonwealth. We have an annual operating budget of a slightly over $1 million. We are the Massachusetts affiliate of several national networks including the State Priorities Partnership, the Annie E. Casey Foundation's Kids Count network, and the Economic Analysis and Research Network.
The Development Writer will be responsible for:
- Writing grant reports and proposals, along with other related materials.
- Assisting with the maintenance of assorted grant tracking systems.
- Overseeing the written materials associated with direct mail and email fundraising appeals.
- Working on special projects, as needed.
Skills and Experience
- Clear and concise writing skills and strong research skills.
- Very strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task and manage deadlines effectively.
- Ability to work collegially and manage up to support Director of Development and programmatic staff in their development responsibilities.
- Demonstrated experience working closely with a wide range of people.
- Commitment to and understanding of how effective state policies can improve the lives of low- and middle-income people.
- Comfort working with Raiser's Edge, Excel, and the full Office suite.
- Two to five years of development experience (we would consider candidates without development experience who have exceptional writing skills).
Additional Desirable Skills and Experience
In addition to core grantwriting responsibilities, this position could include communications or technology elements, if the candidate has expertise in these areas:
- Media and communications experience, including traditional and/or social media.
- Policy research, preferably with a fiscal analysis component.
- Web and computer skills (including designing infographics or interactive web tools).
Salary and Benefits
The position would be between 15-20 hours/week. Salary is competitive based on qualifications and experience. MassBudget provides generous benefits including health care, vacation, and a 401k plan.
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put “YOUR NAME, Applicant for Development Writer” in the subject line. This position is open until filled. Please submit your application no later than Friday, August 24th.
MassBudget has a strong commitment to diversity. We encourage applications from persons whose background and experiences will increase the diversity of our organization.
Minimum Education Required