5501 2nd St
LONG ISLAND CITY
Organization and Role
Brighter Bites is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that brings healthy choices into the homes, minds, and mealtimes of families who live in underserved communities. For 16 weeks during the school year and eight weeks during the summer, Brighter Bites provides: 1) 50 servings (~20-20lbs.) of fresh fruits and vegetables to participating families each week, 2) nutrition education taught in the classroom through a train the trainer model, as well as handbooks, recipe cards and healthy tip sheets for parents, and 3) a fun food experience consisting of a healthy recipe tasting for families to try when they pick up their produce.
Since our inception in 2012, Brighter Bites has distributed more than 16 million pounds of produce, in addition to nutrition education materials, to over 30,000 separate families whose kids attend 100 different schools, camps, and after school programs. Brighter Bites currently operates in 6 cities nationally.
In New York City, Brighter Bites partners with City Harvest to deliver its innovative program model in School District 30 which covers Long Island City, Astoria, and Jackson Heights. The Program Coordinator position will require regular travel throughout northwest Queens and will be based out of Brighter Bites offices at Queensboro Plaza.
The Program Coordinator will manage and deliver the Brighter Bites program in areas including but not limited to: Brighter Bites host site relations, program implementation and evaluation, and volunteer recruitment and engagement. Duties will include:
- Constantly strives to engage families, site partners, and community members in Brighter Bites mission of creating communities of health through fresh food
- Management of multiple school and camp sites to oversee delivery of Brighter Bites program
- Physically present at each Brighter Bites distribution in leadership role.
- Makes key programmatic decisions in the moment using best judgement and training. Communicates larger issues with Program Director in a timely manner.
- Enthusiastically supports volunteers, site staff, interns, and Brighter Bites Associates in proper program implementation including produce distribution, preparation of weekly snack sample, and delivery of nutrition education. As necessary, steps in to deliver program components.
- Tracks Brighter Bites program components by maintaining accurate data and reports for each site.
- Prepares and delivers oral presentations at partner locations as assigned.
- As needed, supports preparation of produce at City Harvest’s warehouse in Long Island City.
- Coordinates and collaborates with Program Director to develop Brighter Bites NYC program
- Informs management of key activities. Makes periodic program evaluation and progress reports.
- Proactively works to improve Brighter Bites program and offer ideas for program growth.
- Assists with development, implementation, and management of program policies and procedures.
- Interacts with the public and/or external organizations to facilitate program dissemination.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Desire in working with a mission-driven organization. Passion for sharing the power of fresh food with others, especially children and families.
- Bachelor's degree in nutrition, public health, education or a related field.
- Basic culinary skills and strong interest in cooking.
- Previous experience working with children and parents, preferably in an educational setting a plus.
- Stellar writing and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills with proficiency in MS Office, especially Excel.
- Advanced Spanish language skills required. Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred
Operational and Physical Requirements
- Must be able to travel independently to program sites in School District 30 (w/ travel reimbursed).
- Must be able to lift produce boxes/bags weighing between 10-50 pounds each on a continuous basis.
Level of Language Proficiency
Advanced Spanish language skills required.
Minimum Education Required