45 Wadsworth Avenue
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
NMIC’s Immigration Paralegals work closely with our highly skilled and experienced interdisciplinary legal team. Paralegals provide assistance to NMIC clients in a variety of immigration matters and collaborate with partner organizations, including but not limited to ActionNYC.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct intake to determine eligibility for immigration benefits and/or legal representation.
- Prepare and file immigration applications on behalf of clients.
- Conduct legal research where appropriate.
- Remain informed and abreast of recent developments in immigration law.
- Attend ongoing educational trainings and forums, at NMIC and at other agencies.
- Translate legal documents from Spanish into English.
- Refer clients for necessary legal and social services within and outside of the agency.
- Maintain client database, client files and correspondence.
- Participate in all unit, agency meetings, legal trainings and outreach events.
- Team oriented approach and available to complete additional assignments as required
- Bachelor’s degree preferred. Associate’s degree or paralegal certificate will be considered.
- Preference will be given to applicants with experience in immigration law.
- Strong organizational and writing skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and use of spreadsheets.
- Fluency in Spanish is required.
NMIC IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
NMIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively encourages candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply for employment. Applicants must meet the minimum qualification requirements. A combination of education and experience will be considered unless specifically stated otherwise.
All attachments must be submitted in Word or PDF format. No telephone calls, please.
NMIC offers a competitive salary based on experience and education as well as a comprehensive and generous benefits package: medical, dental, life, and disability insurance are included; paid time off, including 20 vacation days, 15 sick days, 5 personal days, and 12 agency holidays; a 401k with agency contribution; and other benefits.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in Spanish is required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please address all applications to Rodrigo Sanchez-Camus, Esq. Director of Legal Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line and include the following:
- Cover letter
- One writing sample
- Salary requirements