Healthy Breathing/Healthy Homes Community Health Promoter
- Job posted by Esperanza Community Housing Corporation
Details: 40 hours per week (evening and weekend hours required); 2 positions available
3655 South Grand Avenue, Suite 280
Program Description: Esperanza’s Healthy Breathing Project is partnering with local FQHC’s and hospitals to enhance an innovative project: A Healthy Breathing approach to reducing severe asthma attacks and ER utilization. The goal of the project is to decrease preventable emergency room use by asthmatics while increasing asthma management by providing them with referrals to clinical care, asthma management education, and environmental health interventions necessary to stabilize and improve their health; and improve patient outcomes to reduce emergency room over-utilization.
The project focuses on the following goals:
· Enrolling and retaining families and following up with intervention strategies and sustained asthma prevention care in the home
· Environmental Health Hazards correlating housing conditions to asthma
· Reduce the number of children and adults returning to the emergency department for acute asthma care
· Improve asthma management
Job Description: The Healthy Breathing Community Health Promoter will conduct the health and housing survey, the Integrated Pest Management (IPM) intervention and education and training for asthma management. The Community Health Promoter will provide ongoing support for each family around their health and housing needs. The Community Health Promoter will also be responsible for conducting community education, outreach, entering housing survey data collected, and participation in collaborative meetings and events. The Community Health Promoter will be expected to conduct presentations and trainings for other community groups and organizations, and work closely with the Asthma Management Academy (AsMA). The Community Health Promoter will be required to drive personal, insured vehicle to conduct home visits, mileage reimbursement provided.
· Participate actively in all new, continuing and refresher courses/trainings
· Conduct Door-to-door outreach and education
· Utilize tablet technology to enter survey data.
· Conduct asthma, health and housing survey
· Perform interior and exterior visual assessment
· Conduct Integrated Pest Management Protocols (IPM)
· Provide asthma protocols to families
· Cooperate with team members in scheduling and implementing project protocols
· Conduct community group education sessions and outreach at health fairs
· Refer community members to blood lead testing and other health and social services
· Address community, team members, and Esperanza colleagues at all times with dignity and respect
· Attend team meetings and occasional Esperanza all-staff meetings
· Conduct administrative work documenting performance of deliverables and accountability of time on the project
· Participate in collaborative meetings and events representing the Healthy Breathing project
· Support of Esperanza’s organizational Vision, Mission & Values Statement
· Support the South Los Angeles Health and Human Rights Declaration
· Demonstrate commitment to and experience in providing assistance to low-income communities of color.
· Knowledge of the South Los Angeles landscape, its history, triumphs and struggles
· Must be an advocate for children and families in the community
· Ability to learn and apply new protocols
· Excellent relational skills, personal integrity and knowledge of the community
· Ability to gain and retain trust in the community
· Ability to work independently, as a team member and collaborate with other community agencies in the delivery of services
· Computer skills for communication and reporting required including email
· Must be up to date on related health protocols
· Hold excellent previous employment record that demonstrates high standards of ethics and accountability to represent project in local collaborative groups
· Must have at least one year experience in community health.
· Must have valid driver’s license, auto-insurance and reliable transportation
SUPPORT • Training for this position will be provided. In addition, the Program Manager will be available for questions and assistance. Position reports to Program Manager.
Residents of South Los Angeles strongly encouraged to apply.
medical and dental benefits, 401K, group life insurance, and long term disability
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com