Details: We provide a salary range to make the application process easier for you.
The Center for Election Science is a 501(c)3 nonprofit that empowers voters through smarter voting methods. We work to fundamentally change the way people vote. Smarter voting methods means better representatives who make better policy and spending decisions. We are a high-impact organization seeking talented employees to advance progress on a challenging mission. Our expertise has been featured in the Washington Examiner, MSNBC, and Popular Mechanics.
As an essential member of the executive leadership team, the Director of Philanthropy will coordinate fundraising activities. This person reports to the Executive Director. The person in this position must be comfortable working entirely remotely.
Primary responsibilities as follows:
- Maintain donor database (uses Little Green Light).
- Ensure board director support so that their donor lists are being updated and they are connected with appropriate donors.
- Prospecting existing and potential donors.
- Use screening software to identify larger donors.
- Organize key donor profiles for executive director.
- Lead year-end fundraising campaign and other appeal campaigns.
- Coordinate large direct asks to be done by executive director.
- Directly making significant asks is not a part of this position.
- Organize and identify potential grants.
- Lead grant writing for the organization.
- Write grant reports for acquired grants.
Communications & Outreach
- Coordinate donor communications.
- Organize special events.
- Has organized successful fundraising campaigns in the past.
- Has written successful grant proposals and reports.
- Must feel comfortable working with Google Docs, Skype, Mailchimp, and other online platforms.
- General scientific literacy is strongly preferred.
- Ability to solve problems, prioritize, and minimize multi-tasking.
- E-mail, verbal, and writing skills.
- Some travel: ~2-4 times/year.
- Occasional weekend availability may be necessary but is not common.
- Growth potential if organization continues to be successful (our strategic plan scales up easily).
- Opportunity to interact with leaders in the field of political science and game theory.
- While this position does not require a degree, undergraduate and advanced degrees will certainly be helpful.
- Up to $4,950 reimbursement for health, vision, and dental insurance
- SIMPLE IRA with 3% matching after 6 months
- starting 28 days PTO/year, increasing in subsequent years*
- group term life insurance*
- annual continuing education allotment*
- partial reimbursement of phone and high-speed internet
- home office reimbursement
- flexible hours
- work remotely
(*after 3-month introductory period)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How You Can Be A Competitive Applicant
- Be familiar with our work. Read up on our blog, look through our articles, and see what we’re up to through social media.
- Love what we do. What we do requires a lot of effort. Passion will make that effort easier to sustain.
- Be able to provide evidence that you’re an overachiever. This position is broad and requires someone who is capable of handling versatile and complex projects. This demands intelligence, interpersonal skills, organization, and the desire to overdeliver. You can show this by evidencing prior work and through high performance in the work product section of the application process.
- Be open, honest, and follow directions
What You Can Expect In the Application Process
- Update: We have moved to a rolling application process for this position. When filled, this listing will be removed.
- We attempt to blind ourselves to your name as long as possible so to avoid bias on sex and ethnicity. Please use only your three-letter initials in attachments.
- We will actually tell you whether you advance in the process. If you don’t, we’ll notify you either way as a courtesy. As you can imagine, we do not have the capacity to provide each applicant a rationale for our decision.
- Our process has multiple phases: (1) resume & cover letter, (2) evidence-based questions and work product, (3) interview, and (4) accuracy confirmation. If you do not feel comfortable with performing the labor of a related work sample, then please do not apply.
- Please do not mislead us on your application. If you do, then we will remove your application from current and future consideration.
We care about our employees. You can tell from our benefits that this translates across the board. Our premise here is that if you are a happy employee, then you will be more enthusiastic about your work and inclined to stay. We believe that CES is a place that you can be truly proud and happy to work for.
How To Apply
Send your tailored cv/resume and cover letter in a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter must at minimum address (1) why you want to work for us, (2) why you are qualified, and (3) what you have done that evidences how you’re qualified. Please limit your cover letter to no more than two pages and your cv/resume to be as compact as possible.
For your single attachment, do not include any personally identifying information other than your three-letter initials (two if no middle name). Your PDF attachment should be named: “DP Application Ph1 XYZ" where “XYZ” are your initials. E-mail subject: “DP Application Ph1”. If you make a mistake here, your application may not be reviewed. Position open until filled.