722 West 168th Street
Under the supervision of the Site Coordinator, the Outreach Assistant will engage, recruit, and retain participants for HIV Prevention Trials Network studies. S/he will work with the Community Educator and Senior Recruiter to support all outreach, engagement, and recruitment activities.
- Conduct all research activities in accordance with study protocol, standard operating procedures and other appropriate institutional regulations, procedures and policies, including procedures to safeguard confidentiality of study participants.
- Assist the Community Educator and Senior Recruiter to conduct outreach to relevant community partners through educational and collaborative activities and attendance at community and stakeholder functions, if applicable.
- Assist the Community Educator and Senior Recruiter to conduct outreach to engage, educate, and recruit potential study participants in community and non-traditional settings (bars, clubs, sex shops, subways, informal gatherings and events and other venues).
- Assist the Community Educator and Senior Recruiter in preparing materials and setting up education and recruitment spaces during events and handing out study recruitment materials and giveaways.
- Assist the Community Educator and Senior Recruiter in conducting pre-screening questionnaires during outreach events.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with potential participants, community partners, and other member of the research team.
- Work flexible hours (evenings, nights & weekends), as needed.
- Maintain professional behavior in non-traditional work settings (nightclubs, sex shops, public venues, informal gatherings and events).
- Work independently, exercise initiative, use discretion when handling confidential information.
- Contribute to study team outreach and retention strategies.
- Regularly provide updates on the progress of recruitment to the research team at weekly staff meetings to ensure appropriate and timely enrollments, quickly identify difficulties, and implement corrective measures, if applicable.
- Attend study specific and other study related trainings and meetings as requested by the site leadership, if applicable.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent and 2+ years of community based outreach experience
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS & MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience in conducting outreach in, or familiarity with, Gay/MSM and Transgender venues and communities
- Knowledge of HIV/AIDS, STD’s, HIV prevention tools, MSM/LGBTQ issues
- Experience working with diverse, medically underserved populations and communities
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS & PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities under pressure
- Ability to maintain professional boundaries in diverse public settings
- Outgoing and enthusiastic personality, comfortable in various settings
- Previous experience in research studies
- Experience in community organizing or issue campaign organizing
- Knowledge of New York City communities of men who have sex with men and transgender persons
- Computer and social media literate
Minimum Education Required