Full Time Temporary Contract
Details: The fellowship comes with a stipend of $40,000
330 7th Avenue
James W. Foley Fellow
Reports to: Emergencies Director
Location: New York, USA
Start date: April 30, 2018
The Committee to Protect Journalists is seeking a qualified individual for the James W. Foley Fellowship program. This is a one-year fellowship that was created in honor of American journalist James W. Foley, who was killed in Syria in 2014, with support from the James W. Foley Legacy Foundation.
The ideal candidate will be a recent college graduate or early career journalist with an interest in freedom of expression and journalist safety. The Foley Fellow's core body of work will be an independent research project on a journalist safety issue. The Fellow will also work closely with CPJ's cross-departmental Emergencies Response Team on a variety of topics. The fellowship comes with a stipend of $40,000 and benefits package.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Conducts independent research and writes on global journalist safety issues.
- Supports CPJ's Emergencies staff with additional research and documentation of global issues of journalist safety, and in the dissemination of specific information.
- Compiles information on safety resources and services available to journalists, and provides updates for CPJ's digital resource center for journalists at risk.
- Communicates regularly with international journalists.
- Represents CPJ at meetings on journalist safety issues.
- Assists in CPJ's international advocacy efforts.
- Knowledge of international press freedom and human rights issues.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, international affairs, social sciences or related field.
- Self-starter with proven ability to work independently with supervision and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment.
- Exceptional research skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent English writing skills.
- Proficiency in a U.N. language (French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, or Arabic) preferred.
- Knowledge of journalist safety issues is desirable.
- Ability to work on a variety of projects and to prioritize.
The fellowship comes with a benefits package.
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficiency in a U.N. language (French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, or Arabic) preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
International students with proper authorization to work in the United States are encouraged to apply. Please email a resume, cover letter, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 23, 2018.
Please include "Foley Fellow" in the subject line. All candidates must submit a detailed one-page proposal on a research project looking into a journalist safety-related issue. Projects that offer solutions to safety issues are preferable. Each proposal must include project goals, proposed activities and a basic timeline. The Fellow will be chosen on the basis of the proposed research project.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. Due to volume, we cannot reply to individual inquiries on the status of applications. No phone calls, please.
CPJ is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.