10 Grand Army Plaza
Under the direction of the Supervising Librarian, the Inclusive Services Program Specialist will conduct outreach in the community and work closely with the librarian in charge to prepare and conduct programs for youth (ages birth to 21 years) with and without disabilities. These programs include, but are not limited to: Read and Play; After School Stories; Our Garden Club; Family Lego; and class visits.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Act as liaison between Inclusive Services and the Red Hook and Sunset Park branches.
- Outreach that entails representing the Library and Inclusive Services at community meetings; site visits to special education programs and schools, daycare centers, early intervention programs and therapeutic nurseries; community and agency fairs; and other events.
- Create displays for appropriate areas such as programming rooms and parenting centers
- Recruiting, training and supervising volunteers with and without disabilities and compiling monthly volunteer timesheets
- Conducting and/or assisting with parenting workshops
- Submitting monthly and biannual reports as well as real time statistics
- Maintaining collections and supplies which includes library materials, toys and craft items
- Linking library card applications
- Assist with staff training as appropriate
- Helping organize events such as workshops, conferences and fairs
- Creating PECs templates and other Augmentative and Assistive communication modalities
- Maintain the garden at the Sunset Park and Red Hook branches
Skills & Qualifications:
- High School diploma required. BA degree desirable in Early Childhood Education, Special Education or related field
- 1-2 years experience working with youth
- Fluency in Spanish required
- Excellent Communication, organization & customer relations skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Computer literate in Microsoft Office, social media platforms & other computer applications
- Proficiency in ASL, a plus.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed
The starting salary for this position is $35,306. This position is in the bargainng unit.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in Spanish required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please visit Brooklyn Public Library's career page and click on the Inclusive Services Programming Specialist link to apply!