204A West 115th Street
Friends of the Children New York is a chapter of a nationwide organization dedicated to breaking the cycle of generational poverty through salaried, professional mentoring. We select the highest-risk children from Harlem and the South Bronx and commit to working with those children from kindergarten until high school gradation. Our motto – 12 years, no matter what.
Basic Function / Position Objective:
The Grant Writer is responsible for applying a high level of technical and creative writing skill to proposals to foundations, family foundations, and corporations for the purpose of soliciting funds. The Grant Writer will maintain the accuracy of the annual grants calendar and prospect sheet, and lead the development of project content and budgets for assigned program focus areas. The Grant Writer will work as a part of a dynamic Development Team and must feel a strong connection to and promote the organization’s mission, vision, values and principles, and uphold the professionalism of the organization at all times.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
· Write grant proposals and reports on a timely basis as outlined on the organizational grant calendar; maintain a portfolio averaging 6 grants-related projects per month.
· Manage the Klamath Falls chapter grants program, identifying new prospects, developing grant content and budgets, and maintaining annual grants calendar.
· Provide peer coaching for Grants and Communications Writer in the completion of grant projects, including ongoing training and feedback on both written content and grant development and reporting processes.
· Collaborate with Program and Finance departments to develop narrative content and budgets for proposals falling within assigned program focus areas.
· Function as an organizational representative for foundation contacts as assigned in order to place the organization in the strongest position to receive grant funds.
· Maintain clear and accurate written and electronic records of grant proposals and reports, including grant activity tracking in Raiser’s Edge.
· Assist in research and identification of grants appropriate to Friends of the Children.
· Maintain confidential information in a sensitive and appropriate manner.
· Special projects as assigned in support of organizational objectives.
Required Education, Experience & Abilities
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a related field.
· A minimum of two years of non-profit grant-writing experience, including collaboration with program management and finance to develop content and budgets.
· Demonstrated success in obtaining grant driven funding from foundations and/or corporations.
· Ability to analyze and synthesize information for writing grant proposals, letters, articles, etc.
· Ability to edit written materials accurately and consistently, including own work.
· Exceptional analytical as well as intuitive abilities.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills as well as strong interpersonal and teamwork skills.
· Strong organizational and time management skills. Able to plan, organize, and complete multiple grant proposals and/or reports and follow-up as required. Proven track record of meeting deadlines.
· Excellent attention to detail, strong computer skills, and general understanding of financial principles.
· Demonstrated ability to take initiative, work independently, and effectively solve problems.
· Ability to cultivate and sustain relationships and work effectively with a wide variety of constituencies, including staff, program children, current and potential donors, Board members, and community partners.
· Ability to represent, effectively and professionally, the organization to a wide variety of audiences.
· Willing to be flexible, with the ability to work evenings and weekends if necessary for fundraising activities.
Friends of the Children is committed to our community, to equal employment opportunity, and to diversity in our workplace.
Friends NY offers comprehensive benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply via the HiringThing portal.