650 Townsend Street Suite 435
Common Sense (https://www.commonsensemedia.org/) is the nation's leading independent nonprofit organization devoted to helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent age-based and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Netflix, Comcast, DirecTV, and many other partner networks, helping families and kids make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. More than 100,000 member schools across the country use our ratings and free curricula and content. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, legislators, and a grassroots community of concerned parents and teachers to improve the media and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
Common Sense is seeking an Email Marketing Manager to help drive acquisition and engagement of Common Sense members and email newsletter subscribers.
Reporting to the Director of Membership, the Email Marketing Manager will be responsible for day-to-day execution of acquisition, conversion, and engagement tactics across multiple digital platforms, with a primary focus on email but also including web, social media, search, and more. The person in this role will have ample opportunity to pitch and develop new tactics, campaigns, and ideas for delivering engaging, useful content to our members through email and acquiring new members across all channels. The Email Marketing Manager will play a critical role in helping conceive, create, and execute occasional fundraising campaigns for Common Sense members. This person will also be responsible for responding to Common Sense user feedback submitted through our website. This is an individual contributor role, and the Email Marketing Manager is expected to work cross-functionally with members of the Marketing, Product, Editorial, Education, Social Media, Design, and Video teams to achieve success.
LOCATION: San Francisco, California
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Have primary responsibility for building, sending, and reporting on/analyzing marketing and membership emails to Common Sense members.
- Conceive, create, and manage campaigns and creative executions that drive email acquisition on commonsensemedia.org.
- Develop, test, and iterate on content-related email and site messages that encourage loyalty.
- Manage and optimize our success with Google AdWords as a channel for acquiring new members.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of and experience with best practices for building and deploying email newsletters.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong project management skills.
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RÉSUMÉ:
- Bachelor's degree OR 3 plus years relevant work experience.
- Experience with Salesforce/Salesforce Marketing Cloud strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with Optimizely, Google Analytics, and/or Google AdWords preferred but not required.
- Experience with acquisition marketing in multiple digital marketing channels, including but not limited to email, search engine marketing, search engine optimization, and social media.
THE X FACTOR:
- You are energetic, enthusiastic, disciplined, and highly collaborative.
- You are organized and able to shift quickly between multiple projects.
- You have a great sense of humor.
- You are willing to try new approaches and risk failure to gain insight and achieve ultimate success.
- You value long-term solutions over quick fixes or inflated metrics.
- You are deeply inspired by the mission and goals of Common Sense.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The chance to work with talented, passionate professionals.
- Competitive health and welfare benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and a matching 401(k).
- An organization that offers work/life balance.
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids and families!
Common Sense values the diversity of its employees and is an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required