630 Ninth Avenue
Spoons Across America,® the recipe for healthier children, is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to educating children, teachers, and families about the benefits of healthy eating. We work to influence the eating habits of children through hands-on education that celebrates the connection to local farmers and the important tradition of sharing meals around the family table.
We are currently seeking an organized, engaging, and self- motivated team player to join our team as a Food Educator. Primary duties include working with children ages 6-10 in schools and community centers across NYC to implement our food and nutrition literacy based programs. Additional office responsibilities focusing on program prep, planning and implementation of programs are also included.
- Plan for and lead hands-on lessons and activities around taste exploration, healthy cooking, and nutrition to elementary aged children in schools and community centers.
- Work with children to make discoveries and facilitate discussion and interaction.
- Support children with kitchen skills and safety in food preparation.
- Work with parents/families during family engagement sessions.
- Set up and clean up all materials.
- Communicate and work with volunteers as required.
- Shop/purchase fresh food for classroom lessons (for reimbursement) as needed.
- Prepare program materials for distribution to program sites as needed.
- Maintain regular communication with Director of Programs regarding program implementation, outcomes, and volunteers.
- Attend regular staff meetings, trainings and workshops as needed.
- Participate in ongoing evaluation of programming.
- Use social media to promote Spoons’ mission and programs as requested.
- Complete various office duties as requested including writing, data entry, etc.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate genuine passion and enthusiasm for the mission of Spoons Across America.
- Possess a love for working with children, with at least 1-2 years of demonstrated teaching experience.
- Comfortable traveling throughout New York City and working in a fast paced environment.
- Superb communication and classroom management skills.
- Highly organized, responsible, dependable, flexible, patient and detail-oriented.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team. Ability to work well with staff, teachers, interns, and volunteers to promote the mission of Spoons Across America.
- Dynamic personality with good sense of humor and appreciation for education and healthy, local food.
- Computer proficiency, including Microsoft Office and Google Calendar/Docs.
- Able to lift 25 lbs.
Time Commitment and Location:
- Part Time- 20- 25 hours per week. Classes meet Monday-Friday during school hours (8- 3:00) and availability during this time is required. (A full year program schedule is created in the Fall to assist in planning and scheduling.) May include possible evening or weekend hours. (approximately 1 per month)
- Classes are held in public schools throughout the NYC boroughs. Food Educators are assigned to teach in different schools throughout the week with possible office hours as well. (The majority of hours during the school year are in the classrooms with more office hours during breaks and the summer.)
- Generous paid time off plus 10 paid office holidays per year.
Generous paid time off plus 10 paid office holidays per year.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply: Please send a resume and cover letter, expressing your experience working in education, and your interest and experience with Spoons Across America’s mission to Ali McDowell, Director of Programs and Partnerships firstname.lastname@example.org. Put FOOD EDUCATOR in the subject heading.