Details: GEO offers a competitive salary ($50ks)
1725 Desales Street Northwest
District of Columbia
The Operations Specialist is the organizational tone-setter as GEO’s first point of contact. The Operations Specialist reports to the Director of Operations and is responsible for a wide variety of duties to ensure the smooth operation of the organization, primarily pertaining to finance, office management, IT management and general operations. The Operations Specialist will be responsible for day-to-day office administration as well as working with the rest of the operations team to build out key organizational structures and procedures. The Operations Specialist will lead the accounting monthly close process; liaise between our outsourced accounting and IT vendors and GEO staff; and coordinate between the building management and GEO. The Operations Specialist will provide calendaring and travel support to the COO. As a member of the operations team, the Operations Specialist will participate in the team’s planning activities, relationship management, work planning and other duties as needed. The Operations Specialist is a key member of the operations team as it seeks continuous office improvement by building relationships with colleagues, seeks feedback and demonstrates out-of-the-box thinking to find solution and implement new ideas.
The operations specialist will also support GEO in achieving its Build year objectives for the 2018-2021 strategic direction in the areas of organizational culture, racial equity and organizational structure and talent.
If you were working with us, here are some of the things you would have done last week:
· Reconciled the merchant statement fees to the right department-project code combinations.
· Coordinated with the development team to schedule travel for the COO for fundraising meetings to coincide with a scheduled conference in Boston for July.
· Fielded a member inquiry on using GEO conference room space for their team retreat.
· Took stock of our laptop inventory; coordinate with outsourced IT vendor and Director of Operations on the scheduling of the new laptop installation and deployment processes for the office move.
· Received, sorted and routed all mail and emails to the info box, making copies of all checks and routing them to the appropriate approvers.
· Answered staff questions on how to code their time for an all-staff retreat.
· Placed a work order with the building to change a lightbulb in the kitchen.
· Participated in a conversation with other specialists about how GEO’s culture can best support organizational goals
· Three to five years total accounting and operations experience, including internships, preferably within nonprofit or philanthropic organizations
· Proven ability to organize, prioritize and complete multiple types of administrative tasks; strong attention to detail and accuracy; persistent follow-through skills.
· Strength in multi-tasking, problem solving and time management.
· Experience with month-end closeout and other accounting processes, preferably in a nonprofit setting.
· Experience troubleshooting IT problems and spotting trends, working with external vendors to resolve issues and project managing IT projects.
· Excellent organizational, written and oral communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate using multiple avenues to people of diverse backgrounds and work styles
· A basic understanding of how people and organizations change and the ability to be adaptable
· Any experience advancing diversity, equity and/or inclusion
· Strong customer service ethos
GEO offers a generous benefits package, including 100 percent employer paid health insurance/80 percent for spouse or dependent(s)/70 percent for families, three weeks of vacation; twelve sick days; a 7 percent direct employer retirement contribution with no requirements for matching; a commitment to professional development and along with a Metro accessible location in downtown D.C.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: GEO Operations Specialist. We will accept applications until the position is filled. Priority will be given to applications received by August 17, 2018. In your cover letter please address the following:
· Where did you see you the position posted?
· Why are you a good fit for this position?
· How have you worked with a team to improve a routine process in accounting or operations?
· What appeals to you about working at GEO?