Empower volunteers - change students' lives - as a Volunteer Coordinator!
- Job posted by Reading Partners
Reading Partners AmeriCorps - Community Engagement (2018-19)
New York City, New York
Reading Partners is changing the education landscape. We are a leader in working to solve the literacy crisis in our country by leveraging community volunteers in under-resourced schools. Our diverse and expansive volunteer base provides one-on-one tutoring to students twice weekly, and our program is proven to help children master the reading fundamentals they need to unlock their potential as successful, happy and confident readers in school and in life. Our people are our heartbeat and our greatest resource; we are all passionately rallied around our mission to help children become lifelong learners by empowering communities to provide individualized instruction that works. Join our stellar team leading the charge to deepen our impact and expand our service. Learn more about us at www.readingpartners.org .
AmeriCorps/VISTA engages more than 80,000 Americans in intensive service each year at nonprofits, schools, public agencies, and community and faith-based groups across the country. Since the program’s founding in 1994, more than 1 million AmeriCorps members have contributed more than 1.4 billion hours in service across America while tackling pressing problems and mobilizing more than 2.3 million volunteers for the organizations they serve.
At Reading Partners we have 400 AmeriCorps/VISTA members serving in various positions across the organization and across the country. This AmeriCorps service opportunity is community-based, supporting and implementing the Reading Partners mission while at the same time exemplifying the AmeriCorps motto of “getting things done.” Reading Partners strives to recruit AmeriCorps members who are dedicated to a year of service in the community, and we welcome your interest and application. Read on for more details!
Interested in empowering community volunteers to provide 1:1 tutoring to our amazing students? Check out our Volunteer Coordinator role.
The AmeriCorps Volunteer Coordinator serves as the linchpin in the volunteer onboarding process for Reading Partners New York. This role ensures that interested volunteers are supported through the systems and processes to get them into schools and tutoring students as quickly as possible. This is an exciting opportunity to enhance systems and database management skills, provide high quality customer service to a diverse group of volunteer tutors and work in a dynamic team environment. Reading Partners AmeriCorps offers an amazing chance to give back and as a member you’ll receive benefits, a great place to serve, and the opportunity to springboard a glowing and growing career. Our top Volunteer Coordinators are ambassadors for service, demonstrate a hunger for volunteerism, and strongly believe in our vision and values.
How will you do it?
- System and Process Oriented Thinking - Manage the process needed to ensure that hundreds of individuals can volunteer with Reading Partners.
- Relationship Building and Customer Service - Lead Reading Partners’ efforts to ensure that volunteers have a smooth onboarding process.
- Volunteer Onboarding and Orientation - Support the efforts of the Reading Partners Team to onboard and orient new volunteers.
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
- Are dedicated to national and community service
- Understand this position is an AmeriCorps service commitment and are dedicated to successfully completing a term of service.
- Demonstrate a passion for working with children
- Possess a natural ability to connect with people
- Are eager for a dynamic work schedule
- Boast a deep belief in and passionately promote our mission
- Demonstrate a love for relationship building and public speaking
- Have flexibility and adaptability in both work style and work environment
- Take initiative in meeting goals and seeking professional growth
- Can problem-solve through challenges and failures
- Pay strong attention to detail and manage competing priorities effectively
- Can quickly learn new technology systems and have a high level of comfort with MS Office, Google Apps
- Root your work in our core values
- Possess a high school diploma or GED
- Hold US Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status
Bonus Points if you:
- Are an AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alum/alumna
- Have experience volunteering with other community-based or education programs
What We Offer:
- AmeriCorps members earn an annual living stipend of $17,700 along with medical, dental, and vision coverage at no cost for our members; childcare assistance is available through AmeriCorps for those who qualify. You may be eligible for student loan forbearance on federal student loans. AmeriCorps members can earn an education award of $5,920 after successfully completing their service term.
- We offer an exciting and dynamic culture, and we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us. As such, we provide ongoing professional development opportunities.
The Other things you Need To Know:
- Service Terms: AmeriCorps members serve full-time (approximately 40 hours/week) from September 2018 through June 2019, and must commit to a service term of 1700 hours over an 11-month period.
- Travel: Volunteer Coordinators are constantly traveling throughout the community, and need reliable transportation to attend partnership meetings, career fairs, and other events. AmeriCorps members also make occasional trips to regional offices and service day events.
- Reading Partners AmeriCorps Orientation : At the start of each program year, Reading Partners holds an intensive program orientation training to take a deeper dive into our program, foster relationships with regional teams, and learn the skills necessary to execute their respective AmeriCorps role.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Reading Partners is an Equal Opportunity Organization, with a strong commitment to diversity in the workplace.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Position will remain posted until filled. No phone inquiries.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested in joining the AmeriCorps team with Reading Partners? Our deadline is fast approaching! Please check out our Job Description and apply here!