The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action group, combining the grassroots power of more than 2 million members and online activists with the courtroom clout and expertise of nearly 500 lawyers, scientists and other professionals to fight for the planet and its people in the halls of Congress, communities across the country, and nations around the globe. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana and Beijing.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to partner with NRDC's staff of administrative professionals, lawyers, scientists, and policy analysts who protect the environment and public health through advocacy, action and education.
We are looking for a well-rounded HR professional with strong relationship-building and management skills to join NRDC's Human Resources team. The Human Resources Partner acts as a consultant and coach to dedicated client groups on a variety of issues including, employee relations, developing and delivering feedback, talent development, organizational development and employee engagement. The ideal candidate will have generalist and functional HR experience; sound judgment; and, strong interpersonal skills.
The position reports to the Associate Director of Partner Relationship in Human Resources.
As a member of our HR team, you will act as a consultant and coach to managers and leaders on talent-related issues including staff development and career progression, performance management and feedback, engagement and morale and employee relations issues. Provide guidance to leaders in helping them manage and navigate change. Be a resource, advisor and coach for employees for everything from leaves of absence to career development. Actively reach out to staff to discuss and understand their experience and to develop strong staff relationships. Develop staff data to gain insights and make recommendations regarding employee experience and programs.
You will be part of (and may take the lead on) organization-wide HR projects including the on-going introduction or strengthening of HR best practices. Functional experience in several areas of HR and in project management is strongly desired.
You will be the face and voice of HR to your clients and responsible for surfacing client information and needs to the HR team.
This could be the perfect job for you, if:
- You are a relationship-builder. You are open and approachable. You possess a sincere interest in people and in understanding what makes them tick. You establish trust easily and with a wide variety of individuals. You have a gift for connecting and relating with others.
- You are an excellent listener and communicator. You listen intently. Your communications are direct, thoughtful and clear. You express yourself authentically in person and in writing. People seek your help with their own communication.
- You stay curious. You like to gather information. You are observant, you ask questions and you strive to learn and understand. You look beyond the surface and connect the dots. You have insights; you are often able to see things ahead of others. You are capable of seeing the bigger picture.
- You are objective. You enjoy thinking things through using different points of view. You are capable of considering a variety of solutions, not just one. You anticipate pros and cons of various approaches. People trust your judgment.
- You take ownership. You enjoy multi-tasking. You are motivated to keep the momentum going. You shift easily from tactical work to big picture work. You like some element of surprise in your day.
- You are resourceful. You are comfortable with ambiguity and you roll with the punches when things change. You are motivated to find answers or solutions.
- You care about being part of a team. You enjoy engaging with others to spark ideas and creativity. You are comfortable sharing your point of view, and open to changing your mind. You know how to navigate differences of opinion in a way that is supportive and considerate of your team. You believe in the power of "we".
To determine if you're qualified, you would need to possess the following:
The San Francisco Human Resources Partner will bring at least 7 years HR professional experience in recruiting, employee relations and policy administration to NRDC. Functional experience in one or more areas of HR is a plus. Experience in talent management, benefits administration, compensation, and diversity is desired.
The successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal, customer service, leadership, and organization skills. He or she will work collaboratively and independently, as required, and will assert functional leadership and influence to communicate ideas, proposals, and decisions (in writing and orally) in a professional and effective manner.
The San Francisco HR Partner will complete projects and respond to clients and colleagues in a timely manner, demonstrate initiative and have the ability to assess situations holistically and with the "big picture" in mind. He or she will have the ability to wear both a functional and generalist "hat."
A Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Human Resources, nonprofit management, business administration, or other discipline is required. HR certification, e.g., PHR/SHRM-CP or SPHR/SHRM-SCP is a plus.
Salary is based on a competitive nonprofit scale and is commensurate with experience. NRDC offers excellent benefits and a collegial work environment.
This opening will remain posted until Friday, March 16, 2018. Do not wait to apply! We consider applications on a rolling basis, and may not wait until the deadline to interview and extend offers.
All applicants must be available to interview in our San Francisco office on Thursday, March 20th.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/jobs and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing:
1-800-889-4422<img style="margin: 0px; border: currentColor; left: 0px; top: 0px; width: 16px; height: 16px; right: 0px; bottom: 0px; overflow: hidden; vertical-align: middle; float: none; display: inline; white-space: nowrap; position: static !important;" title="Call: 1-800-889-4422" src="data:image/png;base64,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" alt=""/>.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org
Minimum Education Required