Full Time Contract
Details: 8,850 EGP/month, rising to 9,350 EGP a month following successful completion of probation period (plus 175 EGP/month medical allowance and 50 EGP pension).
38, 26th of July Street
(near Nasser Metro)
Program Description: Outreach
The Outreach Program serves many purposes in maintaining contacts with both individual community members as well as the diverse array of community-based organizations (CBOs) in the Greater Cairo area to improve refugee services in Egypt overall. The Outreach team is the main and central body for any new contact or visit, with staff members fully knowledgeable of the services provided by StARS in order to represent the organization as a whole. Outreach also improves coordination between StARS programs, especially when striking relationships with the same organization. Outreach collects vital data on each CBO in the community and assesses the CBOs’ needs and through coordination with other StARS’ programs, or through collaboration with other service providers, decide what actions should be taken to meet the CBOs needs.
Sub-program description: External Projects
The External Projects Program (EPP) is a sub-program of the Outreach Program and works largely in capacity building with the management of CBOs in order to support changes in and/or expansion of their services to have the greatest community impact. The EPP is connected directly with StARS’ long-term goals of supporting the self-sufficiency of refugee communities and having their voices represented to major INGOs and embassies.
Under the supervision of the Outreach Director (OD), the External Projects Coordinator (EPC) is responsible for the day-to-day management of the EPP and is tasked with engaging the management team of CBOs of different nationalities in capacity building efforts so that they may grow in capacity and influence. The EPC supports all CBO engagement efforts with a focus on CBO self-sufficiency and transferring skills and knowledge in a culturally-sensitive manner that considers the strengths and vulnerabilities of refugee community leaders. Additionally, the EPC is in charge of supervision of the External Projects Officer (EPO), as well as maintains strong coordination with the African Nations Outreach Coordinator (ANOC), Syrian and Yemeni Outreach Coordinator (SYOC), and other relevant StARS focal points.
TheEPC is responsible for running an Intensive Capacity Building Program that provides financial support and training to 3 CBOs, designing, implementing and coordinating workshops for CBOs on a variety of topics related to organizational management, as well as providing one-on-one individualized support to CBOs, particularly in relation to grant writing. The EPC additionally collaborates with the OD and fellow Outreach Coordinators on the strategic vision, reporting, and M&E for the Outreach Program.
All duties are carried out under the supervision of the Outreach Director of StARS. Effective communication with the Outreach coordinators, and other StARS staff, is essential to the success of this role.
· Maintain a strong working knowledge of refugee populations and CBOs in the Greater Cairo area, as well as stay up-to-date on changes among communities/CBOs
· Maintain a strong working knowledge of best practices for community outreach, ensuring that the work of the program is strategic, culturally respectful, and designed towards community self-sufficiency
· Maintain a strong working knowledge of StARS services across the four major programs
· Analyze the CBO profiles done by the ANOC and SYOC and discuss which actions are of highest priority and within the program’s capacity
· Oversee the completion of supplementary management profiles for CBOs to have accurate data on each CBO’s capacity
Intensive Capacity Building Program
· Oversee implementation of 3 CBO projects, including observation of project sites
· Coordinate the distribution of financial support and filing of financial records
· Coordinate monthly trainings implemented by StARS staff, and sometimes by the EPC
· Design reporting structures, oversee reporting process, and provide feedback to CBOs on reports
· Implement monthly working group meetings among the 3 CBOs
· Oversee the 3 CBOs’ designing of sustainability plans towards the conclusion of their project
· Provide capacity building workshops for CBO management staff on a variety of topics based on CBO self-assessed needs found in CBO and management profiles
· Design materials that break down complicated topics in a comprehensible manner for optimal transfer of skills and knowledge
· Implement workshops with a participatory focus that allows CBOs to bring their own experiences, learn from one another, and accurately apply materials to the reality in which they operate
· Design effective exit strategies for how to continue support after the completion of workshops, often with the completion of action plans by the CBOs
· Coordinate with StARS focal points, and potentially external volunteers, to develop and implement additional workshops within communities
· Oversee the design of and provide strategic direction for CBO workshops implemented by StARS staff or external volunteers
Additional capacity building
· Provide individualized support to CBOs based on specific needs or items written in their action plans
· In particular, provide support on project design and grant proposal writing for registered CBOs
· Oversee the coordination of a 3-course series in the Professional Development Courses program run by the Education Program’s Capacity Building Coordinator, including recruiting students
· Provide regular feedback to the OD on all actions related to CBO management capacity building
· Maintain strong communication with the COCs to ensure efficient running of the Outreach Program and utilize their key understanding of target communities
· Maintain strong communication across StARS programs with focal points, balancing CBOs’ needs for their expertise with consideration of staff members’ schedules
· Maintain strong communication with the management of CBOs, maintaining proper cultural awareness and lack of bias
Policy and advocacy
· Promote advocacy for community leaders and their management abilities among a variety of stakeholders
· Maintain strong knowledge on international policy related to community-based practices and the involvement of refugee communities in the refugee field
· Contribute to the annual, organization-wide advocacy document drafted by StARS, focusing on the lack of respect shown to refugee communities in being able to actively participate in the refugee field
· Contribute to monthly data collection on advocacy issues related to the program’s work
· Advocate on behalf of refugee community leaders in meetings with donors, particularly in relation to the criteria and expectations of funders that do not adequately consider the difficulties facing CBOs
· Develop and implement trainings for community leaders in order to build their own advocacy skills so that they can advocate for themselves
· Conduct research on projects, opportunities, trainings, or any other beneficial activities in Cairo relevant to CBOs’ needs
· Provide large contributions to donor reports that relate to the program, effectively explaining program activities successes and challenges and connecting them to the Outreach long-term plan and strategy
· Design M&E materials for program activities (pre- and post-assessments, surveys, focus group discussions, site observations, informal interviews, etc.)
· Oversee recording procedures done on the file server and client data system
· Maintain organized, comprehensive information on the program’s design and implementation
· Supervise the EPO with a focus on maintaining proper running of the program as well as providing opportunities for professional development and participatory planning
· Other duties as assigned.
· Fluent English speaking skills and advanced English writing skills, as the job requires high knowledge of professional and academic English
· Proficiency in Arabic highly desired, and proficiency in another refugee language an advantage
· Strong project management experience, especially related to capacity building and civil society strengthening
· At least one year experience working with refugees or other vulnerable populations
· Experience working with or for community-based organizations and knowledge of the Cairo context an advantage
· Advanced skills in the following areas highly desired: organizational management, project management, report writing, M&E, project design, proposal writing, financial management, advocacy, staff supervision, and communication styles and strategies
· Strong experience in providing workshops, conducting trainings, and leading groups, with excellent facilitation skills
· Experience working within a participatory ideology, as well as actively transferring theoretical material in a practical way, highly desired
· Strong communication skills across different cultural backgrounds, with a particular focus on diplomatic communication with communities
· Ability to form strong partnerships among a variety of stakeholders, from grassroots communities to international organizations and donors
· Knowledge of and belief in models of empowerment and participation, with understanding of the deep, involved, and difficult work needed to truly implement such models
· Flexibility and creativity, especially in dealing with a community context with high security concerns and few available financial and material resources
· Motivation to assess project design and effectiveness, with desire to contribute to the strategic vision of the program
· Proven ability to prioritize workload and multi-task
Working Hours: The External Projects Coordinator is expected to be at work for 40 hours per week, between the hours of 9:00am and 5:00pm, from Sunday to Thursday. Longer hours, evening and weekend work are sometimes necessary. Work will be conducted both in StARS premises and also in refugee communities and centers.
Supervised by: Commmunity Outreach Director.
Closing date for applications: 18 March 2018
Anticipated Starting date: 18 April 2018
All StARS official benefit policies as stipulated in StARS Staff Handbook Guidelines.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Send a cover letter and your CV to email@example.com using the subject line “External Project Coordinator”.