Facing History and Ourselves is an international educational organization that reaches millions of students worldwide every year. Using the lessons of history — and history in the making – Facing History equips teachers to provide students with the skills to think critically about issues of bigotry and antisemitism. Facing History transforms required lessons in history into inspired lessons in humanity, and empowers youth who will change the world for the better.
Embarking on a new 5 year strategic plan, Facing History will also expand our current reputation by developing new marketing and business initiatives including launching a major gifts program and a corporate engagement program.
The Director of Development in the New York office will work to strategically build the New York development effort to meet and exceed our ambitious fundraising goals, currently set at $5.5M. The Director of Development will focus primarily on major gifts work, with responsibility for managing a portfolio of donors with the capacity to give gifts of $10,000 and above. In addition, the Director will manage a team of three and work to grow and support our pipeline of donors, of all types and at all levels, and advance Facing History’s visibility and profile in the region.
Who We Are
We are an experienced and professional Development team who care deeply about the mission and work of our organization. We are highly collaborative, both within our team and across all geographies, to ensure the effective local implementation of Facing History’s development strategies. We benefit from sharing and support through Facing History’s national development team and partnerships and learning from other geographies in order to ensure the effective local implementation of our larger development strategies. We depend on clear communication, commitment to each other as a team, positive energy, and a collaborative spirit.
Who You Are
You are a lifelong learner and a fundraising or relationship management expert who shares our passion for education, youth and community. You are confident in your abilities to build relationships and secure funding for a worthy cause. You are an experienced leader and coach who is energized by the success of your team. You bring your experience and unique perspective to make us stronger together. You thrive in a team environment, bringing both strong collaboration skills and independent initiative.
- Lead Regional Development efforts, overseeing team of three: Leadership Giving Officer, Senior Events Manager and Development Specialist.
- Work with Executive Director and Program Director to generate and execute regional fundraising goals to fulfill organization-wide strategic plan.
- Serve as primary manager for a portfolio of current and potential individual major donors.
- Grow and manage local institutional donor and family foundation portfolio.
- Participate as part of a local and national/international team to carry out Facing History’s fundraising strategy and achieve revenue goals for the NY region.
- Engage targeted constituencies through additional programs and activities that deepen donor engagement and revenue growth, including new private individual and corporate events.
- Oversee and grow leadership and revenue for annual Fall Benefit Dinner, largest fundraising event for the organization exceeding annual revenue of $1.5M each year.
- Work with the Senior Director of Leadership Gifts Programs and Leadership Giving Officer to implement and support Facing History’s new donor giving circles.
- In close partnership with the Executive Director, work with the NY Advisory Board, communicating Facing History’s financial model, building board development strategies, providing stewardship and support to Board members, identifying and cultivating new members, and overseeing sub-committee activities.
- Support other aspects of fundraising as needed.
- At least 10 years of nonprofit development experience or relationship management experience, with demonstrated success in major gifts work, including closing high level gifts and knowledge of moves-management fundraising. Must be able to demonstrate past successes as a major gift fundraiser.
- Engaging relationship-builder with excellent interpersonal skills and strong oral and written communication skills; experience building relationships with Board members preferred.
- Creative and flexible self-starter able to work both individually and as a member of consensus-seeking teams.
- Organized and effective project manager, with the ability to manage multiple needs and assignments in a fast-paced nonprofit setting.
- Genuine commitment to the mission of Facing History and Ourselves and ability to articulate the importance of the organization’s work to a variety of audiences
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google office suite; experience with Salesforce or other fundraising databases required
- Experience in staff management required
- BA/BS degree or equivalent experience
- Familiarity with New York philanthropic and educational communities
In addition to meaningful and rewarding work, Facing History provides an excellent and competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life & long-term disability insurance, a 403(b) program with a discretionary organizational contribution, generous paid time off, an employee assistance plan & a travel assistance plan, pre-tax Transit-pass program, flexible spending health care and dependent care accounts, 4 voluntary Aflac plans, and a friendly work environment.
Facing History proudly values diversity and is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Minimum Education Required