2557 North 5th Street
Title: Development Director
Reports To: Executive Director
Job Status: Full Time, 12 month position
This is an exciting time for Providence Center! A year ago we moved into a newly renovated 6,500 square foot community center. The additional space has opened new possibilities for programming to support Fairhill, our vibrant Latinx community in North Philadelphia. It will also allow us to deepen and expand our core education and leadership development programming for children, teens, and adults.
Working closely with our Executive Director, the Development Director will support Providence Center’s growth by strengthening our existing donor connections and by building new relationships to help us expand our funding base. The Development Director will also give support to our board of directors, staff, and students, helping them to tell the story of their connection to Providence Center in compelling ways.
- Work with the Executive Director to coordinate engagement with individuals, churches, and civic groups, including monthly donors and young professionals groups.
- Identify and coordinate opportunities for Providence Center to raise awareness of our work with potential new donors.
- Manage newsletters, email newsletters, website, and social media, including content and design.
- Write foundation, corporate and government grants with the Executive Director, ensuring proposals and reports are sent and working to build new foundation relationships.
- Support planning committees, the board, and staff to plan and implement fund-raisers and friend-raisers.
- Manage our donor database, including supervising data entry staff and volunteers, insuring gifts are entered accurately and running development reports when necessary.
- Support and maintain communication with volunteers.
Knowledge and Experience:
- The Development Director should have at least two years experience in donor cultivation, public relations, fundraising, grant writing, marketing, and/or other advancement activities.
- The ideal candidate will understand donor cultivation, tracking resources, managing donor relationships, and securing major gifts.
- Supervising experience with staff and volunteers preferred.
- Knowledge of Office 365, Publisher, and WordPress preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
- Written communication – write clearly and persuasively, the ability to tell a compelling story, and the ability to edit work for spelling and grammatical errors and present numerical data effectively.
- Digital communication – prepare and post content to digital media (social media, e-newsletters, webpage, etc.)
- Oral communication – speak clearly and tell a compelling story to individuals and to groups.
- Adaptability and flexibility– adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to handle change, delays or unexpected events.
- Planning/organizing – efficient time management skills and ability to prioritize projects to meet deadlines in a rapidly changing work environment.
- Quality control - demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness, to ensure good quality and a high standard of professionalism across written and verbal communication.
- Cultural competence and teamwork - must be able to work sensitively and effectively with individuals of diverse educational, socio-economic, religious, and cultural backgrounds.
ABOUT PROVIDENCE CENTER
Providence Center’s educational programs have been providing hope and joy to the Fairhill section of North Philadelphia since 1993. We are an independent non-profit founded in 1993 by the Holy Child Sisters, an order that has taught and worked in the neighborhood for over 100 years. Our students come back year after year to be part of out-of-school time programming designed to build resiliency, leadership, and community. Families also have access to English language classes and other supports. Reflecting the population the Fairhill area, Providence Center works primarily with Puerto Ricans and Latino immigrants. Though our neighborhood has the highest poverty rate in Philadelphia, we are committed to helping hard-working families build futures filled with hope and opportunity. Our mission is to educate people to have the power and spirit to transform their lives and community.
Providence Center is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Providence Center maintains a policy of non-discrimination with respect to employees and applicants for employment.
Health benefits and a retirement contribution match are provided.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish preferred but not required.
Minimum Education Required