West Side Community Organizer (Bilingual preferred)
- Job posted by Housing Rights Committee of San Francisco
Details: This exempt position is full time 40 hours/ week. $24 / hour
4301 Geary Boulevard
Housing Rights Committee of San Francisco (Housing Rights) is a tenants rights organization that offers free counseling for San Francisco tenants in all types of housing, including rent-control, public housing and Section 8. We’ve been fighting for tenants rights since 1979. Housing Rights counselors provide help to over 5,000 tenants a year. We opened our Richmond District location in January 2016 to build leaders, organize, and support tenants in San Francisco’s western neighborhoods including the Richmond, Sunset and Parkmerced.
The West Side organizer (bilingual preferred bilingualEnglish and Chinese) is a 40 hour a week full time position that will focus on organizing and empowerment of tenants, especially in San Francisco’s western neighborhoods. This person also assists with policy initiatives that support tenants and holding systems and elected officials accountable to the needs of low income and immigrant communities. As the West Side bilingual organizer, one priority is to assist with building and sustaining alliances with other organizations that are critical to the success of the West Side program, working as part of the team and providing support to other team members as needed.
The West Side bilingual organizer is a passionate, skilled and creative position with a high level of experience and autonomy. A successful track record of organizing in diverse communities is essential as is a long-term commitment to social justice. This organizer must exercise a high level of discretion, nuanced strategy, and independent judgment in the following job duties:
- Community engagement: utilize strategic community building and organizing techniques to encourage community members to actively participate in a collaborative process for addressing housing and tenants issues.
- Popular and political education: develop activities to deepen the public’s understanding of housing issues as well as the political landscape surrounding our policy work at the local and state level.
- Leadership development: provide trainings for tenants and community members to develop skills on public engagement and education.
- Commitment to social and economic justice and bottom-up social change.
- Knowledge of issues impacting tenants, immigrants and people with low incomes on the West side, especially Parkmerced and San Francisco State University areas.
- Ability to engage a diverse community for social justice.
- Experience with local and statewide public policy.
- Track record in sustaining alliances with other organizations.
- Familiarity with tenant counseling and tenants rights preferred.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Experience in leadership development and popular education preferred.
- Strong organizational and communications skills.
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends when needed.
- Fluency in Chinese (Cantonese and/or Mandarin) is strongly preferred.
HRCSF is an equal opportunity employer: people of color, women, immigrants, LGBTQI2S, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply! Diverse viewpoints are vital to our organization's mission and culture.
Benefits include medical, dental, and vision including chiropractic and acupuncture. Caring and causal work environment that centers self-care and social justice with passionate coworkers!
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in Chinese (Cantonese and/or Mandarin) is strongly preferred.
Minimum Education Required