District of Columbia
STATE AFFAIRS ASSOCIATE
The American Society of Anesthesiologists® (ASA) is a medical association which serves a growing membership of more than 52,000 physician anesthesiologists, medical students and care team members. At ASA, we strive to be the best medical society in the world by offering superior educational opportunities and resources. Colleagues in Washington D.C. fiercely advocate on behalf of our members and strive to implement and enhance policies that benefit physician anesthesiologists and the specialty. At ASA we’re collaborative, dedicated to our members, committed to excellence and continuously improving. As a testament to these values we were named one of Chicago’s Best & Brightest Companies to Work For® in 2018 and 2017, and a winner of the 2017 Best and Brightest Companies to Work For in the Nation®. To further strengthen the organization, we’re seeking individuals who are talented, knowledgeable, motivated and agile. If these qualities resonate with you, you may be the perfect addition to our growing staff!
The State Affairs Associate is responsible for assisting the Director of State Affairs in advancing ASA’s state legislative and regulatory agenda. This will be accomplished by monitoring and analyzing state legislation and regulations and assisting the Director in developing strategies and tactics to support State Component initiatives. The State Affairs Associate will work closely with the Senior State Affairs Associate on scope of practice matters and related topics.
- Continuously review, identify, monitor and analyze introduced state legislation and proposed regulations as well as assist in coordinating the department’s response.
- Respond to member and state component society requests regarding state legislation, regulation, and related issues.
- Assist Director of State Affairs and Senior State Affairs Associate in identifying opportunities for proactive legislative and regulatory initiatives.
- Perform 50-state legislative/regulatory reviews of enacted laws / adopted regulations and related research, as needed.
- Advance ASA’s state legislative and regulatory agenda through written communications as well as advocacy materials such as issue summaries/briefs, advocacy toolkits, testimony, and comment letters.
- Develop relationships with the medical community to create opportunities for coalition building.
- Work with the Director of State Affairs and Senior State Affairs Associate to develop state policy agenda and strategies.
- Assist in planning the biannual State Issues Forum and other activities related to ASA’s Legislative Conference and Annual Meeting.
- Organize and update the State Advocacy web page.
- Bachelor’s degree required preferably in political science, public policy or related field.
- Law degree from an accredited university or Master’s in a related discipline preferred.
- 3 years of state affairs experience, including state legislative and regulatory processes required. Knowledge of state health care issues necessary.
- Prior analysis of state legislation and regulations required. Scope of practice experience preferred.
- Experience monitoring state legislation and regulations via State Net or similar tracking software, conduct research, preferably utilizing Westlaw.
- Strong legal and legislative research and writing skills.
Minimum Education Required