105 Chauncy St.
This position is P/T – 20-24 hours a week (Ideally 3 days a week with some flexibility)
FriendshipWorks' mission is to reduce social isolation, enhance quality of life and preserve the dignity of elders in Boston and Brookline. We accomplish this mission by recruiting and training volunteers of all ages, faiths, and backgrounds who provide friendship, advocacy, education, assistance, and emotional support. The Medical Escort Program at FriendshipWorks connects volunteers with isolated elders who need accompaniment to/from medical appointments.
The Bilingual (Spanish/English) Medical Escort Associate works in partnership with the Medical Escort Coordinator in overseeing all aspects of the Medical Escort Program, with a specific focus on Spanish speaking elders and recruitment of bilingual volunteers. The Associate will help with all aspects of the program including the day-to-day management of the program (e.g. filling requests for escorts, conducting intakes, training/supporting volunteers, supervising interns) as well outreach and engagement with Spanish speaking elders in communities throughout all of Boston and targeted outreach to recruit bilingual volunteers.
● Coordinate all bilingual ( Spanish/English) medical escort requests and provide volunteers with weekly Medical Escort volunteer opportunities
● Identify Spanish speaking elders
● Recruitment of Spanish speaking bilingual volunteers
● Conduct phone intakes, including assessment of requests
● Create weekly and monthly schedules for all escort requests
● Build integrity, establish rapport, and sustain communications with program recipients, referral sources, volunteers, and organizational stakeholders
● Interview, train, and screen new medical escort volunteers
● Assist with organizational events such as volunteer appreciation events
● Conduct outreach to hospitals, elder services agencies, universities, community associations, and other organizations to raise the visibility of FriendshipWorks’ services and to recruit volunteers
● Engage in direct service as a back-up when needed to complete medical escorts
● Assist in management of stipended volunteers and interns
● Other duties as assigned
● Must be fully bilingual and fluent in both Spanish and English
● Experience in assessing and understanding needs of elderly and disabled persons a plus
● Experience with crisis management a plus
● Effective with both verbal and written communication
● A willingness to be flexible with schedule according to program needs
● Ability to be self-directed and work independently while also functioning as part of a larger team
● Experience with volunteer management a plus
● Strong organizational skills, multitasking skills, and attention to detail
● Computer competency required
● Comfort with diverse populations a must
● Experience with community outreach
● Comfort with and availability to do direct service when needed
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual fluency in English and Spanish required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.