The Communications Manager (CM) oversees all aspects of EarthCorps’ communications to drive greater organizational visibility, strategically increase volunteer and corps member recruitment, and build awareness for the organization’s impact in ways that will generate additional funding for EarthCorps. This position guides the overall communications and brand strategy for the organization; the Communications Manager is the organization’s storyteller and needs to develop and deliver effective communications to a variety of target audiences. The CM reports to the Development Director and sits within the Development and Communications team. This position is based in the Seattle area with the ability for hybrid work.
What we are looking for
Planning, Strategy and Management (10%)
- Brand and Communications Strategy: Develop and implement organizational communications strategy and annual work plan, integrating print materials, electronic communications, and traditional media outreach.
- Contracting: Manage contract relationships with vendors including web developers, graphic designers, and printers.
Development Support (20%):
- Content Creation (print & digital): Collaborate with Development Manager to create compelling fundraising appeals, monthly newsletters, annual reports, etc.
- Events: Attend virtual and in-person stewardship and fundraising events led by development team and help out as needed.
- Digital Fundraising: Produce and manage cross-channel digital fundraising campaigns to acquire, renew, and retain donors; including growing EarthCorps’ monthly donors; Create and implement digital donor journeys for existing and new supporters.
Branding and Marketing (20%):
- Email Marketing: Design, drive, and execute email strategy; create and send all mass emails; manage email lists, customer segmentation, and email targeting; track and report the performance of email campaigns.
- Website: Manage and develop content on our website to ensure it is updated, accurate, on-brand, and user-friendly; write blogs and translate email newsletters into blog posts; lead strategy for updating web content where appropriate; manage vendor relations.
- Social Media: Manage all social media accounts and create all social media content; build out a unique strategy for each platform.
- Graphic Design: Provide some in-house graphic design. Work closely with graphic design consultants where outside help is needed.
- External Communications: Write, edit, design, and provide editorial oversight for all external print and electronic materials.
- Media: Serve as the primary contact for external communications; establish and maintain key relationships, and act as liaison for PR initiatives and opportunities.
- Content Development: Work with staff and corps to generate quotes, pictures, and stories of impact for outreach and evaluation; lead social media, branding, and photo trainings as needed.
- Messaging: Work proactively with staff to develop and support consistent messaging, including talking points when applicable for external events
Racial Equity (5%)
- Collaborative partner in racial equity efforts for the organization
We are looking for someone who
- Is dedicated to EarthCorps’ mission, values, and racial and environmental justice
- Has a deep and authentic commitment to DEI and desire for continued growth
- Has 3-5 years of experience in marketing/communications with demonstrated success in varied communications vehicles including print, web and social media
- Has superior writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Has strong verbal communication and presentation skills
- Is creative and dependable
- Has a sincere commitment to working collaboratively with a range of constituent groups including board, staff, corps members, volunteers, donors, and stakeholders
- Is entrepreneurial, enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- Is flexible and can adapt to a constantly changing environment