Canada Policy and Government Affairs Manager
Reports to: Vice President, Global Policy and Government Affairs (GPGA)
Location: Toronto/Ottawa (flexible)
About Global Citizen
Our vision is a world without extreme poverty by 2030. The Global Poverty Project's mission is to grow the number and effectiveness of global citizens to achieve the public, business and political commitment and action to end extreme poverty by 2030.
We are inspired by the incredible progress achieved by the global community in halving the percentage of people living in extreme poverty in the last 30 years. We know that the injustice of living on less than US$1.90 a day can be ended by 2030, but only if a critical mass of individuals in society are organized and equipped to take meaningful action to change the policies and practices that contribute to keeping people in extreme poverty.
We know extreme poverty is a complex issue, and that it can’t be eradicated overnight, or by one person. That’s why we’re building a global movement for change: focused on making a difference now, and changing the systems and policies that keep people in poverty. The world’s extreme poor are working hard to fight poverty themselves, with our role being to mobilize citizens to take powerful actions for lasting change.
To this end, since launching in 2008 we have recruited and engaged millions of people through Global Citizen, our online platform and its many related events. Working in support of campaigns from the world’s leading NGOs, we have successfully campaigned for new financial commitments including $900 million for the Global Polio Eradication Initiative, and $600m for the Global Partnership for Education.
And, we’ve put extreme poverty on the map with the annual Global Citizen Festival in New York, where each year 50,000 people come together to celebrate the progress that has been made in the fight against extreme poverty, and learn how they can continue taking action. Since 2016, we have also hosted large scale GC events in Montreal and Vancouver and we look forward to continued growth and presence in Canada and interaction with Canadian Global Citizens. More than 60 policy and financial commitments have been made from on Global Citizen stages since 2012.
Global Citizen Canada is seeking a driven, passionate and effective campaigner to coordinate Global Citizen’s advocacy campaigns and NGO sector relationships in Canada as our Policy and Government Affairs Manager.
As the manager for Global Citizen Canada, you will manage all of Global Citizen’s Canadian advocacy campaigns across a range of national and global issues, working closely with our local partners – some of the leading NGOs and campaigning organizations in the development sector. You will be our key interface with the Canadian government, helping to form and foster relationships with key decision makers, building on GC’s existing and significant footprint, including ahead of the 2018 G7 and 2019 Women Deliver Conference in Canada.
You’ll be channeling the energy of millions of Canadian global citizens to effective action, linking their passion to the campaigns that will make the biggest difference to breaking down the barriers that keep people poor, with a particular focus on vaccines and global health but on development more broadly.
Working alongside campaigners and communicators in New York, London and Melbourne, you’ll be accountable for ensuring that we’re delivering impactful actions for the world’s poor, a meaningful experience for global citizens, and added value to our dozens of NGO partners.
Policy Campaigning / Government Relations
- Secure partnerships with advocacy groups that can push out our campaigning actions
- 5+ NGOs publicly support campaigns
- Build and maintain relationships in Canada with key policy makers and their staff around support for GC priority policy issues in the U.S. (ie. Global Education, WASH, Girls and Women, Food and Hunger and Maternal/Child Health and vaccines including polio eradication, refugees and migration)
- Create Parliamentary and sub-National champions for our policy priorities securing videos, speaking engagements, quotes etc. to demonstrate the impact of Global Citizen actions
- Secure new at least 5 new parliamentary champions for GC issues.
- Secure at least 5 new champions for legislative and foreign aid priorities
- Work to position GC as a convener around our policy focus areas i.e. the private sector, influencers etc.
- Engage in relevant key political and convening moments in Canada, including the G7 and the 2019 Women Deliver conference
- Secure Canadian representation in major GC events globally, including the Global Citizen Festival, as well as at major global summits such as the G20
Working with the broader global policy team and engaged advisory services (where relevant):
- Target key Canadian political influencers with letters, meetings, social media, etc. and develop political advocates
- Encourage Canadian engagement in global platforms, international fora and events and advocate for for initiatives happening in Canada i.e. Global Citizen Live , G7, Women Deliver 2019
- Presentations to local influencers and private sector on GC and its policy priorities
- Assist VP GPGA to staff and facilitate meetings of the Canadian board of private sector and other key Canadian stakeholders
- In collaboration with global GPGA team issue leads, marketing, partnership and content department counterparts in Canada, create Canada-facing digital campaigns that address Canadian support for Global Citizen priority issues including, but not limited to, database emails, action copy and language, digital assets, social media posts and packs, written and video content, speeches and events, on-stage programming and impact reporting
- Conduct activities nationally to engage Canadian GCs in advocacy and outreach to their local representatives on GC priority issues
- Monitor and track accountability against Canadian commitments made on the GC platform
- Interact with wider GC team including digital and marketing personnel, content and GPGA issue leads and other market leads in support of Canadian-facing advocacy and campaigns
- Collaborate with broader Canadian team on ways to engage business development, marketing and GC grassroots support on Canada-facing campaigns and initiatives
- 3-5 years of experience in an advocacy, policy, government affairs focused role or equivalent
- Familiarity with federal, provincial and municipal levels of government
- Demonstrated experience in digital campaigning planning process end to end through to delivery with stakeholder alignment with high profile campaigns, project managing every aspect including influencers, activists, and government involvement
- Demonstrated ability to work cross functionally across multiple departments, and have previously developed creative briefs, government asks
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply here with a resume and cover letter submission.