One Museum Hill Road
Storm King Art Center seeks an Associate Director, Special Events to join a growing team and organization.
About Storm King Art Center
Storm King Art Center is a 500-acre outdoor museum located in New York’s Hudson Valley, where visitors experience large-scale sculpture and site-specific commissions under open sky. Since 1960, Storm King has been dedicated to stewarding the hills, meadows, and forests of its site and surrounding landscape. Building on the visionary thinking of its founders, Storm King supports artists and some of their most ambitious works. Changing exhibitions, programming, and seasons offer discoveries with every visit.
For additional information, visit www.stormking.org.
About the Role
Reporting to the Deputy Director, External Affairs, the Associate Director, Special Events oversees and supervises high-level, multi-faceted, and complex events, including two annual fundraising events – the Summer Solstice Celebration and the Annual Gala and After Party (inclusive of a Silent Auction) – as well as the spring Opening Celebration. This position also manages sponsorships, in-kind donations, and other custom corporate and media partnerships related to these events.
Successful candidates will have enthusiasm for Storm King’s programming and mission, complemented by a background in special events and development preferably in a cultural or non-profit setting. Candidates must be flexible to work occasional weekends and evenings for events. Occasional travel to New York City is required.
Special Event responsibilities include:
- Strategize, develop, and implement the overall vision and production plan for each event, including identifying honorees, host committees, chefs, and auction items; and establishing the fundraising and outreach, marketing and communications, and partnership plans for each event.
- Communicate regularly and clearly with internal and external stakeholders, including senior staff, trustees, honorees, event co-chairs, event committee, partners, etc.
- Work closely to cultivate relationships and liaise with high net worth individuals, board members, event honorees, and event co-chairs and host committees related to the events.
- Write and edit event correspondence and communications, including but not limited to solicitations and acknowledgments, outreach communications, media alerts, etc.
- Collaborate with Communications team on developing all branded event materials, both print and digital, as well as develop and implement a dynamic communications plan, including e-blasts, website maintenance, social media, and other digital platforms and advertising associated with event.
- Establish clear and detailed review processes for developing mailing and outreach lists.
- Plan and evaluate the scope and format of events; establish, monitor, and track event planning calendars and budgets; review and uphold administrative procedures; and coordinate venue selection, facilities management, rentals, catering, signage, displays, audio-visual equipment, photography, special needs requirements, printing, staffing, and event security.
- Produce and work with filmmaker to coordinate all details around film interviews for Gala film presentations.
- Develop, plan, track, reconcile programs, agendas, budgets, invoices and services.
- Manage onsite production team at events, leading staff to implement all necessary event logistics.
- Monitor event activities to ensure compliance with applicable regulations and laws, satisfaction of participants, and resolution of any problems that arise.
- Prepare and distribute final reports and acknowledgments for all major fundraising events.
- Analyze events to ensure best practices are adhered to, relevant and new trends are reviewed, and fundraising strategies are met successfully.
- Work closely with the Individual Giving team to ensure proper cultivation and stewardship of event supporters so that they remain engaged and involved with Storm King during the event time frames as well as after.
Corporate Partnerships responsibilities include:
- Generate ideas, develop strategy, and implement plan to grow event partnerships, including corporate sponsorships, in-kind donations, etc
- Work closely with the Associate Director, Institutional Giving to develop a strategic plan for targeted prospecting, solicitation packages and branded materials, and cultivation participation at events and programs.
- Research new ways to attract new and retain existing Corporate Partners.
- Evaluate partnerships to ensure success and maintain Storm King’s best interest.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- A minimum of 5 years of combined Special Event and Development experience.
- Must have experience planning and leading high-level, complex fundraising events
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment with a small staff and assist with all tasks needed to ensure the success of an event.
- Must exhibit sophisticated organization and planning skills and a serious attention to detail as well as a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to safeguard confidential information and perform with a high level of discretion, professionalism, and integrity.
- Ability to communicate effectively and to interact with the public in a positive and friendly manner at all times.
- Experience managing staff and teams.
- Experience working with trustees and high net worth donors.
- Familiar with both the New York City and Hudson Valley museums, exhibitions and venues.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and knowledge of Altru or similar database.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Works in an office environment
- Frequently sits for long periods of time
- Frequently speaks, reads, writes and uses a computer keyboard
- May require occasional standing, walking, lifting, stooping, or bending
- Requires some overtime, evening and weekend work
- Requires occasional travel to NYC (on average once a month or as needed for special events)
This position is eligible for the full benefit package including a generous paid time off program, medical, dental, vision, 403(b), and more.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Associate Director, Special Events” in the subject. Only complete applications will receive full consideration. No phone calls please.