The Director of the Events Management team is responsible for driving the successful planning, organization and execution of UJA’s top 40+ fundraising events and periodic special events. This person manages professional and administrative staff in the department and ensures effective design and implementation of related systems, processes, and tools. The director ensures quality interface, strong communications, and collaboration with diverse fundraising teams, specialty departments including Legal, Marketing & Communications, Conference and Banquet, Print Shop, etc. as well as with outside vendors that are retained throughout the year.
The director also manages a personal portfolio of events as a line event manager with direct responsibility for the organization and execution of those events.
The director supervises the Speakers Bureau ensuring that high quality internal and external speakers are recruited for events, engagement programs, and meetings with leadership.
- Provides quality supervision of all department staff, which includes leading ongoing team meetings, providing ongoing and effective supervision, providing quality feedback to all direct reports, coaching department managers for effective supervision of their direct reports, completing annual performance appraisals, and recruiting and onboarding new staff.
- Successfully manages complex events with both direct and indirect responsibility in coordination with other UJA departments for printed and electronic invitations, print materials, videos, signage, catering, entertainment, journals, guest lists, seating, security, transportation, production, social media, and more.
- Works closely with the fundraising division, and specialty departments especially Marketing & Communications, Conference and Banquets, Print Shop, A/V, Legal, Security and others to ensure effective event execution.
- Identifies outside vendors and ensures that legal contracts include clearly defined deliverables and timelines to address the needs of the organization.
- Develops and maintains comprehensive event project plans and timelines to ensure that all involved understand what is expected of them and to provide a framework for ongoing accountability connected to timelines and deliverables.
- Conducts regular meetings of cross organizational teams connected to an event. This includes event strategy, event messaging, etc. This requires clear meeting agendas, troubleshooting, and productive, collaborative communication and coordination.
- Ensures that team produces high quality work products before they are released to the public. This includes invites, eblasts, honor rolls, journals, etc.
- Ensures that staff follow internal procedures including vendor contracts, payment processing, and other processes.
- Ensures that incumbent along with staff maintain accurate event information, attendance lists, and related documentation.
- Ensures the production of high quality, cost effective journals. This requires:
- -Effective communication with fundraisers and donors regarding each ad
- -Creation and approval of all ads from donors and fundraisers
- -Inclusion of UJA marketing materials
- -Pagination of journal and work with printer on production
- Oversees personal event portfolio including the complex Wall Street Dinner and other events.
- Leads special projects.
- Drives the implementation and streamlining of new systems and internal work processes.
- Manages special tasks as assigned by Vice President.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree and 7 – 10 years of prior work experience of which 3 – 5 years has been in a management position.
- Experience planning fundraising events for nonprofit organizations and working within tight budgets.
- Superior project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to direct multiple staff and events during same time period.
- Actively seeks new and innovative approaches that enhance event quality and experience.
- Achieves results through people by successful objective setting, performance review, motivation, delegation, team-building, and coaching.
- Ability to assess skill strengths and weaknesses of direct reports and teams that he/she leads to determine appropriate actions and skills to build.
- Provides quality on-site supervision of staff and is present at events organized by team members and self.
- Possesses high quality interpersonal skills and can interface with the highest levels of management and divisional leadership as well as event honorees and their teams.
- Must be team player demonstrating flexibility and a positive attitude. Creates an atmosphere of respect, helpfulness, and cooperation across the organization.
- Possesses strong oral and written communication skills.
- Pays strong attention to detail and follow up.
- Knows how to prioritize, multitask, and work under pressure.
- Must be able to travel to meetings, site visits, and events.
- Is available to work early mornings and evenings as necessary.
- Strong knowledge of suite of Microsoft products including Outlook, Excel, Word, Access, and Publisher. Eager to learn new systems that the teams rely on.