Details: The successful candidate will be offered a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience.
40-42 Richelieu Terrace
Unified Vailsburg Services Organization (UVSO) is a 501(c)(3) Human Services and Community Development Corporation with the mission of creating a stable and compassionate community. UVSO was founded in 1972 by a neighborhood coalition of clergy, civic leaders and concerned Vailsburg residents to manage change and address service shortages in the community. "To achieve this mission, we provide a comprehensive program of services for children, teens, families, and senior citizens as well as encourage neighborhood improvement through community outreach and housing development."
UVSO is seeking an Executive Director to join a dedicated and experienced team. The ideal candidate should demonstrate a successful history of management in a multi-service community development organization or similar context. As a passionate and inspirational leader, s/he will build effective teams and align the organization around a strong vision for growth. A successful candidate will have a proven history of fundraising ability, maintaining existing funder relationships and developing new government, foundation and individual funding sources. S/he will be highly skilled in personnel management and development, building trusting relationships across multiple sites and program areas.
The Executive Director will act on behalf of the Board of Directors of Unified Vailsburg Services Organization as chief executive officer and as representative to the community and funding sources. He or she will have overall responsibility and authority to administer established policies, program and budget of the organization.
- Act as a catalyst to UVSO’s success in creating a compassionate and stable community, while expanding the reach, scope, and impact of the organization.
- Understand and clearly articulate the mission of UVSO while cultivating a shared vision for the organization’s future development. Build on strengths in program leadership to develop new programs and partnerships.
- Translate multi-service community development structure into a sustainable business model, ensuring long term health and effectiveness of the organization.
- Motivate, develop, and mentor UVSO’s staff, building a unified culture.
- Develop a results-driven work environment through the use of clear metrics to measure and demonstrate the organization’s success.
Fundraising and Development
- Publicize the activities and mission of the organization to private and public donors to secure additional funding for future programming.
- Foster relationships with current and potential donors, including foundations, state/federal grants, and individual contributions
- Provide strategies to the Board for expanding fundraising efforts and increasing outgoing grant proposals to support ongoing operations and finance new initiatives.
- Create benchmarks for success; set clear goals and maintain a rubric or other metric for measuring and communicating the success of the organization.
- Develop the annual budget, report progress to the Board, while ensuring compliance with all financial reporting and audit guidelines.
- Implement organization’s business and revenue plans and initiate new revenue streams.
- Develop and implement strategies to address budget deficits and streamline operations, ensuring a stable business model.
- Manage a senior leadership team directing programs in youth and children’s services (early childhood through teen), senior services, housing development, and community outreach.
- Develop and execute comprehensive organizational strategy, aligning program leaders around a shared vision and ensuring a sustainable business model.
- Maintain UVSO’s strong profile in the Vailsburg and wider Newark communities.
- Build increasing awareness and support for UVSO beyond direct program participants.
- Develop leadership roles for community members
- Advocate for UVSO and the Vailsburg community at the municipal and state levels, elevating UVSO’s profile and position in collaborative efforts.
- Cultivate a positive, motivated, and collaborative workplace environment, including relationships with both leadership staff and unionized employees.
- Be an effective liaison by fostering greater internal communication, engage with staff to identify growth opportunities, and communicate their ideas to Board.
- Maintain and implement appropriate human resources policies and procedures, enhancing transparency, trust, and clear communication and reporting channels
- Prior experience in a multi-service community development organization, managing programs across multiple sites and service types. Experience in specific program areas of education (early childhood through teen, real estate development and affordable housing, senior services, and/or community outreach) is a plus.
- A deep understanding of the challenges of urban communities.
- Knowledge of impact measurement and a proven ability to demonstrate impact.
- Minimum 5 years senior-level organizational leadership experience in a non-profit and/or community-based setting including supervision of at least 40 staff members and an operating budget of at least $1 million.
- History of effective program planning and the ability to implement strategic vision.
- Proven management and leadership skills with the ability to galvanize and build strong teams as well as develop and mentor staff through leading by example.
- Experience playing multiple roles within the office environment simultaneously; with a willingness to engage and assist staff members at all levels.
- Strong internal communications skills.
- Experience working with and developing a high-level, engaged Board.
Revenue, Fundraising and Development
- Record of successful fundraising development with demonstrated growth and a history of building strong donor relationships.
- Experience identifying, securing, and managing government and foundation grants and contracts, as well as corporate and individual contributions
- Business Management
- Strong financial acumen and budget management experience including the ability to operate on tight margins and develop long term strategies for a sustainable business model.
- Experience managing a complex organization with multiple sites and programmatic priorities.
- Experience creating and implementing data-driven management systems to improve internal operations and track performance.
- Human resources and labor relations expertise, including experience with a unionized workforce.
- BA or equivalent. Experience can substitute for some education at the rate of two years of experience for one year of education for experience beyond five years and education beyond HS graduation.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applicants should reply with a resume and cover letter that references their experience in relation to the qualifications listed in the position description, along with salary requirements. No phone inquiries will be accepted; all inquiries and resumes should be submitted via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org