Role & Responsibilities
Manage the implementation and coordination of the designated field projects. Providing leadership, strategic direction, management, and evaluation of all aspects of the Medair projects, the Project Coordinator also plays a key role in liaison with local authorities and other relevant stakeholders, team leadership, and security.
Medair has recently started a new emergency response operation in Gedaref in Eastern Sudan, focused on refugees fleeing from the Tigray conflict in Ethiopia. Medair is planning to respond across multiple sectors in the two main refugee camps that have been established and potentially host communities surrounding them. The emergency response is planning a response in water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH), health, nutrition, and emergency shelter/non-food items (ES/NFI).
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Gedaref, Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
April 2021. Full time, 6 months minimum.
Key Activity Areas
- Oversee the overall implementation of the designated project(s) in consultation with the relevant Project Manager(s) and in accordance with the project proposals, ensuring objectives are met within the required time frame and budget. Where necessary ensure preventative and corrective action is taken.
- Manage a comprehensive activity plan for the designated project(s), including resource needs analysis.
- Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation against project objectives is conducted and reports.
- Maintain an overview of the regional context with a view to the strategic development of new projects both in current sites and in surrounding regions. This may include baseline needs assessments.
- Support the PFM, technical Advisers and the CD in the development/ production of new concepts & proposals.
- Develop an implementation strategy which is appropriate to the country context and strategy.
- Ensure complete and timely reporting of activities to Medair, donors, line managers, and any other bodies.
- Ensure all documents related to the project(s) are produced and filed according to Medair and donor guidelines.
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, donors, UN agencies and other NGOs) and represent Medair at relevant meetings (e.g. state and local government, sector-coordination, and security) in order to facilitate partnerships.
- Attend UNHCR coordination meetings as needed, the Sector Working Group, and other meetings.
- Liaise regularly with UNHCR, cluster leads and co-leads (WASH, health, nutrition, ES/NFI), representatives of the Government of Sudan and Humanitarian Aid Commission and Council for Refugees.
- Accompany donors on field trips and ensure programme details are transmitted in a professional manner.
- Plan and construct the budgets for the designated projects, in collaboration with the relevant Project Manager(s) and Sector Advisers and in accordance with donor guidelines.
- Working with the relevant Project Manager(s), ensure that budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations, making any budget adjustment recommendations to the Country Director.
- Monitor the spending of the designated project(s) to ensure they operate in line with Medair and donor guidelines for financial accounting and reporting practices.
- Line manage three to five positions initially: 3 Project Managers, a Logistics Officer, and a HR/Finance Officer.
- Ensure all personnel related issues for the staff of the designated project(s) are carried out in accordance with Medair guidelines. This includes recruitment, appraisal, objective setting, training, disciplinary action, etc.
- Ensure that staff receive training by providing coaching and through the promotion of capacity building of staff.
- Hold regular team meetings and, through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure, develop and build an effective team.
- Promote the health and security of the staff of the designated project(s) by ensuring the application of security guidelines, health and safety in the workplace, and healthy living conditions and practices.
- Guide the process, monitor and review security assessments for new locations and the security status of the area(s) of operation on a regular basis, liaising as applicable with local authorities, other NGOs, the UN, the NGO Forum and INSO, or other relevant security bodies. Make reports, as appropriate, to the Country Director.
- Ensure all staff members receive briefings and on-going training in security-related topics.
- Oversee and monitor staff adherence to security protocols, including security incident reports.
- Ensure security plans & protocols are updated /implemented in response to changes in the security situation.
- Train and support Project Manager(s) in security planning, management, implementation, and monitoring.
- Promote and use the Medair e-library, ensuring that all standardised formats and guidelines are followed.
- Ensure designated project(s) are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and with Medair, donor, country and international standards e.g. Sphere and HAP standards, WHO recommendations, CHS, etc.
- Follow the direction of the relevant advisors at GSO regarding quality, strategy, and technical guidelines.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration / International Development/Relations / Political Science.
- Good English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification experience in a management position, in a relief environment.
- Overseas work experience, preferably with a relief and rehabilitation NGO.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and CHS Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols. Committed to team-building and able to develop and support other team members.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills. Good report and proposal writing skills.