1501 Williamson Street
Common Wealth Development is seeking a motivated, energetic youth worker to join our team. This individual will focus especially on job development and networking with businesses to create employment opportunities for youth from our programs. They will also work directly with teens and help deliver our employment and financial education, job placement, and mentoring programs to economically disadvantaged youth. This is a full-time position with some evening hours required. Hourly wage is $16.50 - $18.00, depending on experience, with full benefits. Applicants should have two years’ experience working with and/or mentoring youth from economically disadvantaged backgrounds, as well as youth from racially and/or ethnically diverse backgrounds, a valid driver’s license, and regular access to an insured car. Common Wealth values the work of our local schools and educators, and graduates of Madison area high schools are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Develop positive employment opportunities with businesses that will partner with Common Wealth to provide supportive job placements for economically disadvantaged youth from our program.
- Facilitate the placement of teens into jobs and follow up on their progress with employers.
- Network with businesses, community, school personnel, and families to promote the programs.
- Identify and recruit economically disadvantaged teens for the programs.
- Arrange and conduct employment and financial education trainings and workshops.
- Mentor youth in the programs to ensure successful employment, money management, and orientation toward higher education.
- Communicate and work effectively with a team to ensure highest quality programming and support for teens.
- Assist in program planning and evaluation.
- Maintain written records and computer database.
- Perform other tasks as requested by the Youth Programs Manager and the Executive Director.
- Experience and commitment to working with teens in poverty or from economically disadvantaged backgrounds.
- Knowledge of workforce development as a component of comprehensive community and economic development.
- Experience and commitment to working with teens from racially diverse backgrounds.
- Strong personal connections to economically disadvantaged communities.
- Strong personal connections to racially and/or ethnically diverse communities.
- Experience leading training sessions for teens.
- Ability to lead employment and financial literacy training sessions.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with businesses, youth, families, and school personnel.
- High level of motivation and ability to prioritize tasks, handle multiple responsibilities at once, and work effectively both independently with minimal supervision and as a member of a team.
- Attention to detail and ability to follow through on tasks in a timely manner.
- Proficient in word processing and database programs. MS Access experience preferred.
Common Wealth values diverse life experience in its hiring process and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Bilingual, bicultural, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish and/or Hmong speaking skills desired.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, fill out an employment application (available at www.cwd.org or at our office) and submit a complete application packet to: Common Wealth, 1501 Williamson Street, Madison, Wisconsin 53703, or by email to email@example.com.
Application packets must contain each of the following:
1) a completed employment application; 2) a resume; and 3) a cover letter describing your experience and/or ability to:
- work with and/or mentor teens in poverty or from economically disadvantaged backgrounds
- work with and/or mentor teens from racially and/or ethnically diverse backgrounds;
- network with the business community and/or help individuals find employment; and
- lead training sessions.
Preference will be given to complete application packets received by 5:00 pm Friday, December 14, 2018. Applications accepted until position filled. No faxes. No calls please, except to confirm receipt of application materials.