About Chicago Beyond
Chicago Beyond is an impact investor that backs the fight against the inequities pervasive in Chicago’s communities. Since its inception in 2016, Chicago Beyond has invested more than $35 million in ideas, individuals, and organizations that fight for all youth to achieve their fullest human potential.
Chicago Beyond’s approach is holistic. We invest in everything from education, to youth safety, to community development, to healing, and beyond. This is important because there is no single barrier to equity. Past investments range from early stage ideas such as a Safe House for youth, or supports for young Black fathers, to developing the first-of-its-kind blueprint for holistic trauma supports for over 350,000 students in Chicago Public Schools.
In 2019, Chicago Beyond published Why Am I Always Being Researched?, a guidebook designed for funders, researchers, and community organizations to move from harmful power dynamics to more authentic truths. It has been used in all 50 states and more than 90 countries. We also opened a new space, designed intentionally to serve as Chicago’s home for social innovation.
In 2020, Chicago Beyond launched several initiatives to respond in real-time to the COVID-19 pandemic and movement for social justice. Chicago Beyond developed a hyperlocal distribution network to deliver $250,000 of food and basic necessity items each week to thousands of families on the South and West Sides of Chicago. The Backing the Fight Fund was launched to support those working on the front lines, and deployed financial resources to hyperlocal community organizations taking action and fighting for a more equitable future for Chicago’s youth and communities. Chicago Beyond also started a speaker series on antiracism that has been joined by more than 100,000 individuals globally, and has provided entry points for people with the desire to learn what it means to be antiracist. Speakers have included leading voices such as Professor Ibram X. Kendi, author Christian Picciolini, former Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, Professor Khalil Gibran Muhammad, and Co-Founder of the Black Lives Matter Global Movement Alicia Garza.
Chicago Beyond was founded by Liz Dozier, a nationally renowned former educator and high school principal. Chicago Beyond’s innovative and impactful work has been featured on both the local and national level from the Chicago Tribune to Forbes to the Stanford Social Innovation Review. For more information on Chicago Beyond, please visit chicagobeyond.org.
Chicago Beyond is seeking a Manager to join its Growth team. The Growth team is responsible for authentic partnerships with Chicago Beyond partners – the organizations and individuals in whom we invest. Together, the partnerships lead to positive, transformative change for young people in Chicago and beyond.
The Manager will be responsible for:
Taking potential investment opportunities from sourcing to investment
· Leading sourcing and exploration of potential investments
· Preparing investment analyses and recommendations, including understanding community context, related efforts, broader implications, best practices
· Exercising wisdom and developing analysis to inform which potential opportunities Chicago Beyond pursues or does not pursue
Overall development, execution, and outcomes for partnerships with investments
· Developing and nurturing relationships with each partner in the portfolio
· Providing thought partnership to partners
· Facilitating learning and development for the partner and for Chicago Beyond, and actively identifying potential risks and strategies to mitigate
· Leading valuable projects, including developing and managing workplans for the internal Chicago Beyond team, to help partners grow the impact of their work
· Understanding and identifying insights from each partnership (learnings, qualitative and quantitative data, outcomes) and deploying those towards step-change in the work of the partner, and in the impact of Chicago Beyond
· Sharing learnings broadly
Pursuing high potential ideas and approaches and designing learning initiatives, in service of partners and of young people
· Recognizing and seeking out potential ideas and approaches worth exploring, including those that serve multiple partners or draw on insights from multiple partners
· Leading teams to investigate high potential ideas and approaches, deploying resources effectively
· Ensuring Chicago Beyond’s partnership model is valuable to partners, and continually learning and improving the model
· Ensuring partners’ actions, experiences, and learnings are flowing into, threaded through, amplified in Chicago Beyond’s overall work
· Designing learning initiatives to move the field to serve young people
Lastly, the Growth Manager will report to the Senior Director of Investments. The Growth Manager will also serve as a key member of the Chicago Beyond organization, and will contribute to the overall direction of Chicago Beyond.
· Deep passion for Chicago Beyond’s mission and objectives, and commitment to racial equity
· Ability to build relationships and work effectively in collaboration with various stakeholders
· Ability to lead teams and keep complex projects with many stakeholders on-track in a fast-paced environment
· Strong communication skills both oral and written
· Ability to shift seamlessly between high-level strategy and execution work
· Ability to communicate and work closely with organizations in varying stages of development, including understanding of financials
· Strong entrepreneurial spirit, and an openness to learning and adapting
Working at Chicago Beyond
Launched in April 2016, Chicago Beyond is a fast-moving start-up organization made up of a small, but ambitious team looking to make a difference for the young people of Chicago and beyond. If you are an entrepreneurial individual looking to a join a dynamic team with significant opportunity to grow and shape what you do, while making a meaningful impact, then this will be a perfect role for you!
Our values guide our work.
· Always Equitable – Our youth face unimaginable obstacles to achieving their fullest human potential. So, we must fight for equity, not equality.
· Incessantly Urgent – The simple fact is that lives are literally at stake, right now. The unacceptability of the situation requires our relentless bias to action in order to accelerate our impact.
· Endlessly Creative – To dramatically impact the lives of our youth, we must employ imagination to augment or replace the usual, typical, and predictable.
· Stubbornly Audacious – Entrenched challenges require disruptive ideas, boldly applied. We must be unafraid to embrace risks.
· Uncompromising Integrity – How we achieve our mission is equally as important as our mission. We must do right by our youth, our partners, our teammates, and ourselves.
Chicago Beyond is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ+, and other underrepresented applicants.
About Chicago Beyond
Chicago Beyond is an impact investor that backs the fight against the inequities pervasive in Chicago’s communities. Since its inception in 2016, Chicago Beyond has invested more than $35 million in ideas, individuals…
Please note there is no standard candidate profile. Research shows that underrepresented applicants tend to downplay their qualifications. What is more important to us than numbers and titles are the experiences that you have had and the expertise you have developed. If you think you would be a good fit, please apply.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to Chicago Beyond at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Growth Manager.”
Please note there is no standard candidate profile. Research shows that underrepresented applicants tend to downplay their qualifications. What is more important to us…