HandsOn Bay Area is looking to hire a team member who is driven and inspired by the work that volunteers can achieve. Through our Operations Manager position, you will help to ensure that our financial and administrative systems are in great working order to support the larger team. In addition, you will help to create engaging volunteer experiences, coordinate the logistics around the volunteer projects, and guide volunteers through their work on project days. This position provides opportunities to work at various nonprofits, parks, and schools throughout the Bay Area on outdoor and indoor volunteer projects, while also allowing flexibility to work from home and our office (specific tasks will require some in-office time).
You are passionate about the work that volunteers can provide to the community. You are great at paying attention to small details while not losing focus of the bigger picture. And you love doing “back office work” while at the same time being out in front of groups of volunteers to keep you connected to the mission of the organization. Does this sound like you? If so, you should read more about the position below and then apply!
Position Purpose: Reporting to the Senior Finance & Administration Manager and supervising the Administration and Finance Associates, the Operations Manager ensures a productive work environment by managing our daily, weekly, and monthly financial processes; overseeing our office space needs, while also providing People Operations/HR support.
- Supervise a Finance Associate.
- Manage our accounts payable/accounts receivable processes (Tallie, Bill.com, & Quickbooks Online).
- Ensure bills, receipts, and credit card transactions are uploaded into our expense reporting apps. Categorize expenses to the appropriate expense accounts.
- Audit expenses submitted into our expense reporting system; work with staff members to make sure their expenses are coded correctly.
- Ensure reconciliation of all banking and credit card accounts.
- Prepare journal entries, including monthly closing and allocation entries.
- Ensure timely completion of our month-end close checklist of financial tasks.
- Manage our bill payment system (Bill.com) and expense reporting system (Tallie); Ensure updates are completed as necessary and troubleshoot any problems.
- Create financial reports as needed.
- Manage G-Suite Business account: create staff email accounts & update groups, reset passwords as needed, assist with managing shared calendars and G-Drive storage.
- Help to organize and maintain an informational intranet site to help share knowledge, policies and procedures for our staff and for the board.
- Supervise the Administration Associate to oversee our office space and development/donor processes.
- Ensure the office is clean, organized, and equipped with necessary supplies.
- Manage vendors related to the office space (janitorial, gas/electric, security, web domain renewals, etc).
- Manage, maintain, and troubleshoot A/V equipment and VOIP phones.
- Organize our space and assist with logistics for events (ie staff meetings and board meetings).
- Distribute incoming mail. Water/take care of our office plants.
- Manage our inventory of office keys and technology equipment.
- Process receipt and acknowledgement of donations.
- Issue invoices, receive payments, process thank you letters, and make deposits.
People Operations/HR (~20%)
- Prepare and process payroll.
- Maintain our timesheet app (Zenefits) to ensure that timesheets are completed and approved on time for each pay period.
- Assist with onboarding/offboarding and training of employees. Act as office ergonomics lead and train the team on best practices.
- Provide first line of contact for employee’s questions about benefits.
- As part of the Fin/Admin Team, assist with warehouse logistics if necessary.
- Assist with other administrative duties as needed, including but not limited to support for our Executive Director, Board of Directors and Management Team.
Responsibilities of all HandsOn Bay Area Staff
- Embrace HandsOn Bay Area’s mission and core values.
- Be ambassadors for HandsOn Bay Area in the community.
- Support the fundraising efforts of the organization.
- Act as leaders on HandsOn Bay Area corporate service projects as necessary (~20%).
Volunteer Project Development
- Coordinate and/or conduct site visits with nonprofit agencies to scope out which activities the volunteers will complete either virtually or in person (examples: career readiness assistance or gardening).
- Research, organize, and prepare plans to make the volunteer project a success.
- Communicate professionally with corporate clients about the details of the events.
Day of Volunteer Project Management
- Ensure that the project experience is productive, safe, and fun for the volunteers.
- Welcome, direct, and instruct/manage large groups of volunteers.
- Communicate clearly with volunteers to articulate goals of the project.
- Troubleshoot any problems that might arise.
- Coordinate project wrap-up/clean-up as the project is ending.
- Ensure that the project goals are met.
- Occasionally work in our warehouse to organize and package supplies for volunteer projects and assist with supply delivery/retrieval.
- Experience with Quickbooks Online, Salesforce, Bill.com, and Tallie (or similar applications).
- At least 1 year of supervisory experience.
- Able to look at problems from multiple directions to solve them.
- Have practical computer skills and intuitive knowledge around the use of technology.
- Experience with Google Suite: Gmail, Calendar, Drive, Sheets, Docs, and Slides.
- Enthusiasm around training coworkers to adapt to ever changing technology/apps that will make them successful in their roles (from copiers to chromebooks, and apps to databases/spreadsheets).
- Great customer service skills; good interpersonal and communication skills, written & verbal for collaboration amongst coworkers and external contacts.
- Ability to organize and plan virtual and in-person volunteer projects.
- Comfortable speaking in front of and facilitating groups (from 10 to 100+), both virtually and in-person. Enthusiasm to take on leadership of large-scale projects (100+ volunteers), a plus.
- Able to provide positive supervision and mentoring for volunteers at a project.
- Detail oriented. Able to multi-task with flexibility to succeed in a fast-paced environment.
For when we are able to return to in-person volunteer projects:
- Valid CA driver’s license (or willingness to obtain a license) for travel to project sites throughout the Bay Area.
- Experience with gardening, painting, or construction, a plus (we can provide training).
- Ability to drive vehicles like small U-hauls/large vans a plus. If you don’t have this experience, we can train you.
- Ability to lift and carry event supplies and load them into our fleet.
- A team player who can also work independently AND have fun!
- Interested in nonprofit work and believes in the value of community service.
- Likes organized spaces and attention to detail. Has good time-management skills.
- Enjoys creating and maintaining a fun and productive office environment.
- Patient and resourceful when it comes to problem solving.
- Professional demeanor in person, in virtual meetings, and in email communications.
- Handy with basic project budgeting.
HandsOn Bay Area is committed to continuing to make diversity, equity, and inclusion part of everything we do. Bring your true self. Uniqueness is powerful.