Details: Commensurate with experience
UNITE HERE Local 2850 is seeking a dedicated campaigner to fight alongside hospitality workers using a combination of in-depth research and political and community organizing.
Job Description: Our research teams conduct industry, corporate, real estate and political research and analysis to develop and carry out campaigns focused on winning economic justice for low wage, primarily immigrant hospitality workers. Our campaigns organize non-union workers and secure improved standards for existing union members in the food service, gaming and casino, and hotel industries.
In the East Bay, UNITE HERE Local 2850 has been on the forefront of struggles for social and economic justice for many years. We are a fighting union, led by rank-and-file workers. We work closely with other unions and progressive community organizations to build a movement to fight back against rising income inequality and win working people our fair share of the Bay Area’s unprecedented wealth.
About UNITE HERE: UNITE HERE is the union leading the fight to organize hundreds of thousands of low-wage workers –- many of them African-Americans, Latino and Asian immigrants, and women -- in hotels, casinos, institutional cafeterias and airport concessions throughout North America. Our union, with over 270,000 members, is at the forefront of battles for workers' rights, immigration reform, living wages, and quality jobs in many cities throughout North America. (www.unitehere.org)
Job responsibilities will include:
- Research companies using a wide variety of sources, including published databases, on-line and Internet sources
- Conduct local and field research on companies, industries and/or real estate development projects
- Develop company analyses and adapt them for various audiences (e.g. leadership & staff, workers, stockholders, political & regulatory bodies, the public)
- Identify and analyze new development projects in our industries and represent the union during the planning & political approval process
- Communicate and build relationships with a wide variety of players including community organizations, company officials, customers, government staff and elected leaders
- Develop and carry out campaign strategies and tactics
- Work with UNITE HERE members, organizers, regional staff and elected leaders; assist in moving campaigns forward through organizing, leading actions, doing political work, as needed.
Desired Qualifications include:
- Passion for, and commitment to, fighting for workers' rights
- BA degree or relevant research and/or activist experience (labor, political, urban planning, or community/campus)
- Strong analytical, writing, computer and interpersonal/organizing skills
- Willingness to travel extensively, to work long and sometimes irregular hours, and relocate as necessary
- Familiarity with database and word processing software
- Ability to effectively manage a workload with competing priorities and deadlines
- Reliable car and driver’s license
Current UNITE HERE Campaign Researchers have worked in the past as community and union organizers, urban planners, journalists, teachers, and researchers elsewhere.
Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Positions include excellent health and retirement benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Complete on-line application at: http://jobs.unitehere.org/
Please be prepared to upload your resume, cover letter and three references.