Reporting to the Director of Nursing, the Registered Nurse is a licensed professional that utilizes specialized knowledge, judgment and nursing skills in the care of patients and maintains standards of professional nursing practice in a clinical setting. The RN works in collaboration with the patient, family, physician/nurse practitioner and office staff within the team structure to ensure that patient-centered, cost effective, high quality care is provided. The incumbent has interest and experience in Community Health and plays an integral role in the care coordination and management of patients, supervises the clinical support staff at the site, and is a key member of the Care Team. This is a full-time professional position encompassing all nursing aspects of primary care services including services both in the clinic setting, in the mobile health van, and in the community.
Essential Functions, Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in the care of patients in collaboration with the Care Teams, providers, outreach team, and the clinical support staff. Engender communication and coordination of activities amongst all team members to achieve optimal patient care services and outcomes.
- When working in the clinic setting, perform triage in person or by telephone. Triage medical related calls during clinic sessions (i.e. inquiries from clients, pharmacies, etc.) according to policies and ambulatory care regulations. Assist with triage, translation, and determination of acute issues, transition of care processes, and other duties in the clinical setting. Document interventions and plans in electronic medical record. Triage patients who present for same-day care as needed.
- Oversee and assist in the implementation and documentation of laboratory services as per CLIA/CLIS regulations and procedures, including point of care and HIV testing.
- Assist in the review of laboratory and diagnostic studies, flagging those that need immediate attention and working with the care team/provider to inform patients.
- Provide education and counseling for all aspects of primary care services, including vaccine information, procedure review, women’s health and primary care counseling to clients according to medical standing orders and ZHC educational protocols.
- Provide patient education as per grants and programs including but not limited to, VFC/317 vaccination program, Title X and Ending the Epidemic and according to established guidelines and protocols, and document in the EMR
- Prepare reports for analysis and reporting as per grants and requirements of the center.
- Bring any barriers or process issues identified that are interfering with optimal patient care to the attention of the QA PI Team and the Director of Nursing. Participate in collaborative and performance improvement initiatives as directed by Director of Nursing and Chief Medical Officer.
- Maintain patient confidentiality at all times and as per regulations and health center policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.