Case Manager (short-term maternity replacement)
- Job posted by Integrated Refugee & Immigrant Services (IRIS)
Full Time Temporary
235 Nicoll Street, 2nd Floor
IRIS (Integrated Refugee & Immigrant Services, www.irisct.org), a dynamic refugee resettlement agency in New Haven CT, is looking for someone to replace a Case Manager who is going on a 3 month maternity leave.
IRIS helps people fleeing persecution in their home countries to start new lives and become self-sufficient, contributing members of their communities. IRIS currently serves clients from countries such as Afghanistan, DR Congo, Eritrea, Iran, Iraq, Sudan and Syria.
IRIS is an affirmative action-equal opportunity employer.
The Preferred Communities Case Manager works within the framework of the Preferred Communities grant providing intensive services to clients who meet the PC eligibility criteria (mental health need, serious medical need, women at risk). The PC Case Manager ensures clients’ basic and specific needs are met so that they can overcome barriers and make progress towards self-sufficiency. The PC Case Manager ensures compliance with PC grant requirements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Conducts assessments to determine client needs and eligibility for PC services
- Maintains frequent contact with assigned cases, including home visits (once a month minimum, but more as needed)
- Assists clients in accessing appropriate external services and public benefits
- Coordinates with other IRIS staff and community providers for services including English class, childcare, education, health care, employment, immigration legal services, mental health services, addiction services, disability services and benefits, housing services, etc.
- Insures refugees’ basic needs (housing, food, clothing, etc.) are addressed and that as soon as possible they can meet these needs on their own
- Transports and accompanies clients to appointments for various services and helps them find ways to get to their appointments independently
- Provides additional community and cultural orientation (in addition to what was provided during R&P period), as needed
- Insures that proper language interpretation and translation are provided as needed for meetings with clients and for important written documents
- Maintains case files, case notes and required documentation for each case
- Participates in PC program network meetings
- Participates in monthly CM department meetings
- Provides regular reporting to IRIS management and funders about the PC program
- Provides crisis intervention and/or arrange for this to be provided, as needed
- Maintains and update PC database with client information, periodic assessments, resources and gaps, and referrals
- Closes and transfers cases in a timely fashion
- Other related tasks as assigned by Director of Case Management or Executive Director
Candidates must have:
- Social work & case management experience (at least 2 years)
- Ability to quickly establish and maintain a good rapport with various types of clientele,
- Awareness and sensitivity to multicultural issues and a demonstrated commitment to the mission of IRIS,
- Strong communication skills,
- Ability to handle multiple demands and shifting priorities in a fast-paced environment,
- Ability to set limits with clients and enforce strict policies,
- Fluency in spoken and written English,
- Strong computer skills including email and internet, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Google Docs; ability to manipulate basic spreadsheets,
- Meticulousness and attention to detail,
- US driver’s license, good driving record, and willingness to drive clients to appointments.
Ideal candidates will have:
- Masters of Social Work
- Experience working with refugees or other immigrant populations
- Knowledge of DSS, SSA, CT AccessHealth applications and benefits
Level of Language Proficiency
Ideal candidates will have proficiency in another language (Pashto, Dari, Arabic, Swahili especially).
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, send an email to Director of Case Management, at firstname.lastname@example.org by March 15th (as soon as possible) with the following:
• A subject line that says “PC CM: [Candidate first and last name]”
• A cover letter
• An attached resume
Applications will be reviewed in the order they are received and until the position is filled.