Position Title: Travel Companion
Department: Constituent & Community Services, Door-to-Door Program
Reports To: Manager, Door-to-Door
Status: Full-time, non-exempt
Travel Companions serve DOROT clients in profound ways, offering physical and emotional support to help older adults safely travel to and from medical, chronic care management, therapy, and other essential appointments, and ensuring their well-being while waiting to be seen by their service providers. Upon request, Travel Companions also assist clients with grocery shopping and other errands and accompany them on walks in the community. The ideal candidate enjoys interacting with older adults, possesses exceptional interpersonal skills, exercises excellent judgment, and is conscientious and patient.
- Be an important contributor and collaborator on DOROT’s Door-to-Door Team.
- Provide physical and emotional support to older adults while accompanying them to appointments, on shopping trips, and during leisurely walks.
- Shop on behalf of older adults either in person or online.
- Collaborate with the social work team and other staff to integrate Door-to-Door participants into DOROT’s wide array of programs.
- Collect, track and maintain data regarding client-related interactions and program usage using DOROTs’ online database; this includes the creation of a case note and participation record following each appointment, as well as other routine data entry.
- Provide support to, and participate in, DOROT’s volunteer programs and on-site events, as needed.
- Staff the Information and Referral (I&R) telephone line and/or Kosher Meals at Home program, as needed.
- Assist with special projects as assigned.
- High school diploma
- 2 years of work experience
- An affinity for working with older adults
- Excellent verbal communication skills including the ability to engage with, listen to and respond appropriately to older adult clients
- Ability to recognize, appreciate and respond to the distinct needs of clients and identify challenges and concerns that need to be communicated to the Program Manager
- Physical ability to walk distances while providing additional support to a senior (for example: walking arm in arm, or pushing a wheelchair-bound senior)
- Ability and willingness to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Familiarity with and comfort using multiple forms of transportation, i.e. subways, buses, taxis, and rideshare services in NYC
- Availability to work Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- Proficiency with using a smartphone to text, update Outlook calendars and access the Internet including proficiency with Android and/or iOS platforms
- English language proficiency required; fluency in Spanish a plus
- Knowledge of MS Office Suite and other relevant software required, experience with Salesforce preferred
- Availability to work a minimum of approximately 4–6 Sundays per year for special events and Package Deliveries