The High Level
The Development and Communications Manager is part of the region’s external relations team, working to support Reading Partners’ regional growth plan through fundraising and community engagement. This position is an exciting opportunity for someone who has experience in nonprofit fundraising with a focus on grant-writing, portfolio management, and external communications.
Reporting directly to the Director of External Relations (DER), the Development and Communications Manager supports the development and implementation of the regional development and communication strategies in close partnership with the DER. The Development and Communications Manager will drive fundraising activities in foundational, corporate, and individual giving. They will also own and manage external communications, development operations for events, data management, and prospecting. The Development and Communications Manager is a highly collaborative, goal-oriented, and driven relationship builder, who is excited by both higher-level strategy and on-the-ground operational work.
What you’ll do:
Own and manage the fundraising activities, including for foundation, corporate, individual, and events, in order to reach yearly revenue goal of $1.2 million by:
- Identifying and responding to opportunities and establish new relationships with foundation, corporations, community groups, and individuals that will generate monetary and non-monetary (in-kind) support
- Crafting compelling narratives and submitting all written materials including cover letters, proposals, and reports
- Maintaining and managing all timelines for key deliverables to ensure grant compliance
- Ensuring all special events achieve/exceed revenue goal by implementing industry best practices for recruiting event committees, teams, sponsors and individuals to grow our constituent base
- Working closely with regional and national team members to implement regional giving campaigns including the year-end annual appeal and #givingtuesday
- Own all prospect research, with a special focus on individuals able to give $1,000 and above. Collaborate closely with DER and ED to create and implement individual cultivation plans.
- Facilitate the donor relations activities of the ED, DER, and regional board members
Manage external communications by
- Creating meaningful and mission-focused content for external relations collateral and communications, including e-newsletters, social media, media releases, event collateral, blogs, talking points, speeches, as well as meeting briefs, letters, follow-up correspondence, updates, mass mailings, and acknowledgments
- Developing and maintaining a calendar of communications to ensure timely delivery of content and quality touch points with donors, tutors, and other key stakeholders.
Drive regional development operations by
- Ensuring accurate maintenance of records, prospects, and donor information
- Creating and maintaining reports that monitor progress against goals, fundraising targets, and upcoming deadlines
In addition to supporting other development tasks and projects as they arise, this position will spend a portion of their time providing support to external relations team by playing the role of brand ambassador, confidently and cheerfully engaging with members of the community
How you’ll do it:
New Revenue Generation:
- Demonstrate a proficient ability to conduct research, to prospect, and to drive ongoing external development efforts in rapidly growing organizations particularly in Baltimore. Demonstrate excitement to steward and leverage relationships that result in meeting or exceeding target fundraising goals. Boast an entrepreneurial spirit and actively seek to deepen current donor relationships and forge new ones.
- Demonstrate a strong detail orientation, accuracy, and ability to develop compelling reports and communications to be used internally and externally. Execute all work in a highly organized, analytical, and data-driven manner.
- Effectively write high-quality external communications that demonstrate deep knowledge of our program and promote our mission. Demonstrate the ability to write customized and compelling grant proposals and reports, e-communications, and social media posts. Through exceptional writing, serve as an ambassador of Reading Partners.
- Externally, serve as an ambassador of Reading Partners. Quickly establish credibility when promoting Reading Partners to external audiences. Demonstrate a high degree of comfort and poise with donors, corporations, and prospects.
- Externally, demonstrate experience in external relations and relationship development. Regularly deliver convincing messaging and tailored experiences. Demonstrate a genuine joy in connecting with donors and all external stakeholders.
- Internally, establish highly collaborative relationships with all team members. Demonstrate a hunger to learn, grow, support, and add great value. Regularly seek to understand all aspects of our model to convey externally.
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
- You have 3+ years of increasing responsibility in a development or related role
- Are an exceptional and persuasive communicator in writing and verbally
- Are achievement-oriented and have a demonstrated track record of achieving aggressive fundraising goals
- Boast a deep belief in our mission
- Hold a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Root your work in our core values
- Hold US Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status
Bonus Points if you:
- Are an AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, or other national service alum/alumna
- Have a high degree of comfort with Salesforce or another fundraising database
- Have experience working in the launch or growth phases of organizations
- Experience work in education or literacy
Reading Partners offers the full package – great benefits, a great place to work and the opportunity to have a glowing and growing career.
- We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience. This is a full-time, exempt position.
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, flex spending accounts, generous paid time off, commuter benefits, 403(b) option, and Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- We offer an exciting and dynamic culture, and we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us.
The other things you need to know
- Travel: This position travels throughout Baltimore.
- Typical Physical & Mental Demands: Requires prolonged sitting with some bending, stooping and stretching, and eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, telephone, photocopier, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to communicate with volunteers and staff. Also requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you’re interested in joining our Reading Partners team, please submit the following application materials to our online job posting:
- A tailored cover letter describing your interest in Reading Partners and how your past experience has prepared you for this role. Please include your salary needs.
Reading Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer, with a strong commitment to diversity in the workplace. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Position will remain posted until filled. No phone inquiries, please.