Details: CAD47,000 – CAD49,000 per year
2 Carlton Street
SUBJECT EDITOR, COMMUNITIES
(Reports to Managing Editor)
At Historica Canada, we build awareness of Canadian history and citizenship. Our programs reached more than 24 million Canadians last year, which makes us the largest independent organization of our kind. While our headquarters are in Toronto, we also operate the Ottawa-based Encounters with Canada program. Our staff travels coast to coast to coast to meet participants and promote engagement in our activities. All programs are offered in both official languages. Visit www.historicacanada.ca for more information about our programs.
The Canadian Encyclopedia is a free, bilingual online resource of over 20,000 fact-checked articles and learning tools about Canada’s history and culture. The Subject Editor, Communities for The Canadian Encyclopedia will be an individual who is passionate about the work of Historica Canada, has had experience working with a team to achieve deliverables in a timely fashion, and is enthusiastic about creating a legacy for all Canadians. The successful candidate is creative, driven and connected with like-minded organizations in the public, private and non-profit sectors.
The responsibilities of the Subject Editor, Communities include:
- Overseeing update of articles and creation of new articles within the specialized subject area of Communities, including French Canada, diverse communities, educational institutions, religious groups, public health, human rights, and social sciences;
- Identifying and commissioning new articles and authors, based on production quota;
- Peer reviewing substantive editing produced by other subject editors (outside of specialized portfolio);
- Contributing articles;
- Developing and managing relationships with consultants (contributors, fact-checkers, etc.) to meet editorial deadlines;
- Contributing to special features as needed;
- Responding to reader comments for portfolio;
- Contributing to editorial calendar, including current events, anniversaries and commemorations within the portfolio;
- Providing content for report on updates and additions within the portfolio;
- Tracking expenses, ensuring expenses remain within budgets, and reporting on variances;
- Taking part in strategic planning discussions;
- Representing and promoting the Encyclopedia at educational conferences;
- Consulting with Managing Editor on key editorial decisions and policies.
- A degree in Canadian Studies, History, Journalism or equivalent; graduate studies an asset;
- Bilingual (English and French); French as a first language preferred;
- Excellent French and English language writing and editing skills;
- Excellent research skills, attention to detail;
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment;
- Knowledge of Canadian history and current events: please state any specialization;
- Knowledge of online media and publishing industry;
- Strong budgeting and time-management skills;
- Editorial experience an asset;
- Professional working experience in the non-profit, heritage or education sector an asset.
This is a contract position ending March 31, 2020 with potential for renewal. The annual salary is $47,000 – $49,000 less applicable statutory deductions. The ideal candidate will work from the Toronto office, Monday to Friday; however, qualified distance candidates will be considered.
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required by the incumbent. Incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required. Historica Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Level of Language Proficiency
- Bilingual (English and French); French as a first language preferred
- Excellent French and English language writing and editing skills
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter in a single PDF or Microsoft Word document with your full name and the position as the file name. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. Interviews may be arranged before the deadline. Interested candidates should submit their application to email@example.com no later than 19 October 2018 at 5:00 PM EST. Successful candidates will be contacted directly. Phone calls or solicitations from agencies and candidates will not be accepted.