Group Leaders provide on-site direct care and support to after-school program participants and ensures that daily, participants are actively engaged in the full array of program activities that foster their positive development. Group Leaders will build supportive relationships with eachafter-school participant in their care and foster positive interactions between participants. Program responsibilities include: planning and facilitating programming and activities in the core program areas (academic support/enrichment, good character and leadership skills, and healthy lifestyles). Group Leaders will also work diligently to ensure the health and safety of all participants during program. This includes identifying and addressing any hazards and monitoring and providing supervision in accordance with Boys & Girls Club of Harlem policies and practices.
- Act as a role model for program participants and junior staff
- Demonstrate leadership to assure good conduct, safety and development of member.
- Foster a culture of excellence in program service delivery
- Foster a love for learning among program participants and help to cultivate a network of supports for each participant to reinforce
- Lead Youth Workers and Volunteers to support participant’s active engagement in all program activities.
Program Development and Implementation
- Daily facilitation of programs and activities that support positive youth development outcomes. These will include BGCA developed programs and curricula
- Oversee day-to-day program activities in accordance with established standards and goals
- Ensure that members are encouraged to participate in a variety of program areas
- Identify and respond to factors that give rise to feelings of exclusion; atypical behavior or appearance
- Support children in homework and provide additional tutoring support in specific content areas
- Assist children as they develop learning skills by exploring individual interests; challenging their thinking, encouraging inquiry, and promoting problem-solving approaches.
- Support in data collection and where appropriate analysis to ensure that programs and activities respond to member needs
- Implement structured and unstructured activities using principles of positive reinforcement
- Ensure compliance with BGCHarlem policies and procedures.
- Manage program and educational resources
- Ensure productive work environment in delivery of all programs.
- Support Site Supervisor to ensure proper record keeping and reporting for all programs
- Support Site Supervisor to ensure compliance with all reporting requirements for federal, state and local governments and compliance with all reporting requirements for the Boys & Girls Clubs of America.
- Monitor and support participants through risk management; appropriately reports concerns about issues of child safety regulations.
- Ensure a team-based work environment by communicating effectively and positively with supervisors, co-workers, volunteers, and other community partners
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and rapidly-changing environment
- Ability to deal effectively with children and youth, including maintaining Program Associate discipline
- Be able to actively maintain program space, which includes cleaning and sanitize high touch point areas throughout the clubhouse, using established practices and procedure.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Holds a minimum Associate's Degree in education, early childhood, human services or related field of work; BA preferred
- A minimum of two-years work experience in supervising activities based on the developmental needs of young people or working in urban education
- Basic knowledge of developmental milestones concerning physical, emotional, cognitive, and social development of children and youth
- Basic knowledge of the principles and practices of positive youth development
- Previous experience in: classroom teaching, group management, youth programming, or youth camp experience
- Awareness and compliance of safety and health requirements of licensing and other relevant authorities, including safety and first aid procedures.
- Proficient in basic computer skills and use of basic Microsoft applications, including Outlook, Word and Excel and Google suite of applications.
- This position requires the ability for employees to stand and walk for long periods of time Will be required to wear mask and gloves at all times
- Speaking proficiency in Spanish