6066 Leesburg Pike
The Center for Asylum Protection (CAP), a legal clinic in Bangkok, Thailand jointly managed by BPSOS and People Serving People Foundation (PSPF), is hiring Refugee Protection Attorneys to provide legal aid to asylum seekers coming from Vietnam and a number of other countries. BPSOS and PSPF are members of the Asia Pacific Refugee Rights Network (APRRN).
Level of Language Proficiency
- Provide orientation to asylum seekers about the refugee status determination (RSD) process conducted by the Bangkok office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (UNHCR)
- Prepare refugee claims for UNCHR’s first-instance interviews
- Prepare appeals for cases with strong claims that are rejected in UNHCR’s first-instance adjudication process.
- Prepare petitions to UNHCR to re-open closed cases based on new information or arguments
- Participate in the Asia Pacific Refugee Right Network (APRRN) and other refugee-protection networks
- Advocate for timely resettlement of recognized refugees
- Contribute to research efforts on country conditions in Vietnam and other refugee-generating countries
- Raise public awareness about the plight and needs of asylum seekers
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
- A law degree with at least two years of law practice
- Fluency in English both written and oral.
- Proficiency in Vietnamese or another Southeast Asian language (preferred but not mandatory).
· Strong research, writing, and analytical skills.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proven organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to relate to people from a wide range of backgrounds
- Sensitivity to challenges and trauma faced by asylum seekers, refugees, and displaced people.
- Team player with demonstrated ability to interact professionally with staff, clients, donors, and service providers and to work productively in diverse team settings or independently.
To apply, please send your resume, a cover letter, and three references to email@example.com. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.