369 East 149th Street
Community Connections for Youth (CCFY), Inc. is a Bronx-based non-profit organization whose mission is to empower grassroots faith and neighborhood organizations to develop effective community-driven alternatives to incarceration for youth. CCFY promotes community involvement in the juvenile justice system through a three-pronged approach that includes (1) Leadership Development - mobilizing faith leaders and community members to advocate for juvenile justice reform; (2) Training & Technical Assistance - educating faith and neighborhood organizations to develop community interventions for youth in the justice system; and (3) Demonstration Projects - providing mentoring and other support services to youth and families in the Mott Haven neighborhood of the South Bronx. CCFY was founded in 2009 and is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
CCFY is seeking a Mentor for its Community Connections Detention Diversion Program. The Mentor is a part-time hourly position in CCFY's Department of Family Engagement, specifically assigned to work with youth who have been admitted to juvenile detention. Mentors will provide on-site support to families navigating the juvenile justice system at the Horizon Juvenile Detention Center, and will provide follow up support and coaching for released youth as well. Mentors will work at least one evening shift each week at the Juvenile Detention Center and Bronx Family Court and will be on call to provide support to youth during evening and weekend hours as well.
- Engage young people who have been admitted to juvenile detention at the Juvenile Detention Center in the Bronx or Brooklyn as well as Bronx Family Court;
- Facilitate family conferences with youth, family members, parent coaches and mentors;
- Work with the Youth Development Department and Parent Coaches to engage and support the entire family
- Facilitate post-release community-based support and services for youth in the community
- Provide individualized follow up support to youth, including, but not limited to, accessing social services and engaging in community-based positive youth development programs;
- Work evening shifts, Mentoring and running young men’s group at the Juvenile Detention Center to engage youth who have been admitted;
- Conduct group-based activities and support for youth and families with a focus on supporting male-identified youth;
- Availability to be on-call after normal business hours to provide support for youth, especially in times of crisis.
- Assist with various administrative and programmatic duties as needed.
- Ability to connect with and provide empathetic, nonjudgmental, culturally and linguistically competent support to young people;
- Experience creating and facilitating workshops for youth;
- Understanding of the juvenile justice system and its processes; understanding of other systems including education, mental health, child welfare, etc.
- Ability to maintain professionalism while interfacing with both system employees (i.e. detention center staff, probation) and community stakeholders.
- Experience providing coaching and support to youth either in a formal paid capacity, or informally as a volunteer.
- Flexible schedules with the ability to spend at least one evening per week at the Juvenile Detention, and evening and weekend availability to be on call for youth.
- Personal family involvement with the justice system a plus
- Fluency in Spanish highly desired.
- Computer literacy and the ability to complete weekly data entry.
- Commuter Benefits Program
Eligible for prorated:
- Phone Stipend
- Flexible Spending Account
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in Spanish highly desired.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send applications to Community Connections for Youth at 369 E. 149th Street, 7th Floor Bronx, NY 10455. No resumes will be considered without a cover letter. Applications may be submitted via email to email@example.com or via fax to 347-438-3215. Phone inquiries will not be taken prior to the submission of an application. Please include the following in application submissions:
- Cover Letter explaining interest in this specific position with salary requirements
- Current Resume
- 3 references for previous employers