The Safe Sisters Circle is currently seeking survivor centered and culturally competent applicants for a Domestic Violence/Family Law Staff Attorney position with our organization. The Staff Attorney will work to support The Safe Sisters Circle’s mission and provide exceptional legal services to Black women survivors. We are looking for a highly motivated, passionate and thoughtful individual who is committed to the work of advancing the legal interests of Black women survivors of intimate partner abuse and sexual assault.
Duties and Responsibilities
● This position reports to the Executive Director of The Safe Sisters Circle;
● Represents Black women survivors in Civil Protection Order, Custody, and Child Support matters;
● Engages in crime witness advocacy, including accompanying clients to criminal court hearings involving abusers where appropriate, advocating with law enforcement and prosecutors for the clients’ desired outcomes, and keeping clients informed of their rights in the process and the status of their cases.
● Provides compassionate, holistic and culturally competent legal, advocacy and wrap around services to Black women survivors of intimate partner abuse;
● Conducts legal research and writing and maintains a working knowledge of the law;
● Conducts case related investigations;
● Conducts client intake and case management services;
● Participates in the organization’s community outreach efforts in Washington, DC’s Wards 7 and 8;
● Participates in the organization’s educational resource development;
● Attends survivor-centered community working group and policy meetings; and
● Other tasks as may be assigned.
We are looking for applicants with the following qualifications:
● Juris Doctor degree and DC Bar Membership required;
● 1-2 years of experience litigating/providing direct legal services, preferably to survivors of domestic violence and/or sexual abuse. May substitute clerkship or relevant law school clinic work;
● Demonstrated commitment to women’s issues, gender based violence, and intimate partner abuse;
● Survivor-centered focus, with an interest in issues impacting Black women survivors;
● Trauma informed and culturally competent advocacy skills;
● Excellent legal research and writing skills;
● Patience, enthusiasm, creativity and a positive attitude;
● Ability to take direction and accept constructive feedback;
● Ability to work well independently as well as in team environment;
● Past experience with a survivor-focused organization is a plus.
The Safe Sisters Circle is currently seeking survivor centered and culturally competent applicants for a Domestic Violence/Family Law Staff Attorney position with our organization. The Staff Attorney will work…
Please submit a resume, cover letter (including a clear statement of why you are interested in this position), and a writing sample to Alana Brown, Executive Director of The Safe Sisters Circle, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Diverse applicants are encouraged to apply.
Please submit a resume, cover letter (including a clear statement of why you are interested in this position), and a writing sample to Alana Brown, Executive Director of The Safe…