34 1/2 East 12th Street
Police Athletic League (PAL) is the largest independent youth organization in New York City that provides educational and recreational activities for children and young adults. PAL Inc. and The New York City Police Department work in partnership to provide communities with summer and after-school recreational and educational activities.
We are looking for a Full-Time Education Program Manager who will be responsible for planning and executing quality special events and contests for the agency’s youth. Includes budget planning, purchasing, obtaining permits, and setting up media exposure. Education Program Manager will also be assigned administrative duties for the Education and Program Development department, such as general purchasing and payroll.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Model and uphold all Agency rules.
- Planning and executing PAL’s City Wide Special Events, each of which are attended by over 300 youth participants, volunteers, New York Police Officers and PAL staff and other stakeholders.
- Work closely with center staff to ensure that materials and compliance for PAL Special Events are complete and adhere to contest requirements.
- Arrange for permits, request certificates of insurance, and other venue/space requirements; referees, judges and other outside personnel needed for successful events.
- Work with PAL Facilities Department to ensure transport of equipment and materials to and from events, proper storage and accounting of inventory at the warehouse.
- Liaise with PAL’s public relations firm and social media staff to arrange for media exposure.
- Report event outcomes, including costs and participation data to Director of Education and Program Development and relevant department unit heads.
- Support development of workshops related to preparation for major events.
- Maintain the integrity of the program, guiding the goals and programs to meet the requirements of PAL mission and funder requirements.
- Present ideas and suggestions for improving programs as often as possible. When presenting a problem or offering constructive criticism, also offer an alternate solution.
- Assist Director of Education and Program Development with payroll, purchasing, and general administrative duties.
- Submit written and verbal reports, as requested.
- Attend regular meetings with department staff, vendors, and other stakeholders to assist in program delivery and promotion of programs.
- Assist in development of academic and arts programming theme and sub-themes with Education and Program Development department.
- Supply information to Grants, Research and Evaluation Department to provide our evaluators information for regular reports to funders.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Business Administration or related field. NYS Teaching Certification a plus.
- At least 2 years’ experience in organizing large events and/or working with multiple entities to coordinate a project.
- Must be responsible and organized with very strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in implementing structured programming to students in grades K-8. Classroom or after school teaching experience a plus.
- Familiarity with NYC Parks Department permit process a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications and email systems.
- Must be a team player
No calls, please. External recruiters and agents, please don’t contact this job poster.
Police Athletic League seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. All positions at PAL are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required