If you are a driven professional with a proven track record of success who is passionate about making a difference, The John A. Hartford Foundation has a one-of-a-kind opportunity for you to be a part of the nation’s leading philanthropy with a sustained interest in aging and health. To help support our ongoing growth, we are seeking a dynamic team player to join our team as a Program Officer.
The John A. Hartford Foundation, based in New York City, is a private, nonpartisan, national philanthropy dedicated to improving the care of older adults. For more than three decades, the organization has been the leader in building a field of experts in aging and testing and replicating innovative approaches to care. The Foundation has three areas of emphasis: creating age-friendly health systems, supporting family caregivers, and improving serious illness and end-of-life care. Working with its grantees, the Foundation strives to change the status quo and create a society where older adults can continue their vital contributions. For more information, visit johnahartford.org and follow @johnahartford.
What Makes this Job so Unique?
As a Program Officer at The John A. Hartford Foundation, you will have a unique opportunity to make a significant and meaningful contribution to the success of the Foundation and those we serve through the following core job responsibilities:
- Research, develop and implement new program initiatives in areas determined by the Board of Trustees
- Prepare written summary and analysis of each grant to be proposed for Trustee consideration
- Brief Trustees on proposed grant at meetings of Grants Committee and Board of Trustees
- Review and respond to inquiries about grant making interests and other matters
- Meet with external audiences as needed
- Keep current with developments and trends in health care and relevant foundation activity particularly in fields designated by the Trustees; including literature reviews and attendance at appropriate conferences and meetings
- Review grantee progress and expenditure reports and follow-up as needed
- Review and approve grant modifications
- Conduct site visits to monitor grants
- Prepare evaluation reports for Board of Trustees; follow up on recommendations made during evaluation process
- Respond to phone, letter and electronic inquiries
- Represent the Foundation to the public and at professional meetings
Qualified Candidates Should Possess:
- Master’s degree; 5 years’ experience, best in more than one sector (foundation, academic, health systems, government) relevant to Foundation’s interests
- Familiar with health care payment strategies and payment reform
- Knowledge of health education and care systems and other health-related foundation activities
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, initiative and leadership abilities
- Ability to work as part of a diverse, cross-functional team
- Polished presentation skills, both oral and written
What We Offer You
At The John A. Hartford Foundation employees love what they do and love where they work. We offer great perks like:
- Team-oriented environment
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive Medical and Dental Plans
- Disability and Life Insurance
- 401(k) with Company Match
- Generous Vacation Plan and Holiday Schedule
How Do I Get Started?
To apply please submit the following to email@example.com:
- An updated resume
- A brief cover letter outlining your experience and interest in working for The John A. Hartford Foundation
Please note: If you are offered employment, it will be contingent upon the successful completion of any and all background verifications.
Your submission will receive a brief electronic acknowledgement. Due to the anticipated volume of applications further contact by applicants is not allowed. Please no phone calls.
Minimum Education Required