Details: Commensurate With Experience
1333 H Street, NW, 10th Floor
Reports to: Senior Director, Foundation Relations
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full time
American Progress seeks a self-starter with strong written and verbal communications skills and an ability to juggle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment for the position of Associate Director/Senior Manager, Foundation Relations. This position helps American Progress pursue and capitalize on emerging opportunities for foundation funding and helps to produce written communications for American Progress. The Associate Director/Senior Manager will work closely with the Foundation Relations Director to drive a robust foundation fundraising program designed to increase the amount of support from American Progress’ constituency over the next several years. This position is ideal for a deadline-driven, detail-oriented, and well-organized development professional who is committed to a progressive policy agenda. Please note that specific responsibilities and qualifications will vary slightly based on the level of the position.
The Foundation Relations unit works with program staff at both the Center for American Progress, a 501(c)(3), and the Center for American Progress Action Fund, a 501(c)(4), in order to become familiar with program content and make the case for support for various programs; conduct ongoing research to identify foundation funding opportunities; collaborate on strategies for approaching foundation prospects; and track all foundation activity and deadlines.
- Implement strategies and activities designed to increase support from existing foundation funders and identify new potential foundation support, working closely with the Director to drive fundraising strategy.
- Partner with the Director to ensure the effective management of the Foundation Relations unit, including through performance statistics and data integrity.
- Research the giving interests of foundation funders and stay abreast of philanthropic trends and recent foundation giving.
- Identify new opportunities for funding that align with American Progress’ programs through prospect research, working closely with the Foundation Relations Coordinator.
- Prepare foundation materials, including but not limited to proposals, letters of inquiry, grant reports, agreements, email, presentations, and acknowledgment letters. This includes drafting original copy, editing, and formatting as needed.
- Assist with the planning and execution of meetings with foundation staff; research and draft briefings for executive leadership in advance of foundation meetings; and prepare senior staff for foundation meetings and phone calls.
- Partner with American Progress program staff to cultivate relationships with both current and prospective donors and support foundation fundraising on the part of American Progress’ executive team.
- Track grant requirements and deadlines, as well as contact between American Progress and funders.
- Liaise with program and finance staff to monitor grant spending.
- Perform other duties as assigned or as needed to move forward American Progress’ Foundation Relations portfolio.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Four to seven years of foundation relations experience or comparable work with foundations, preferably at a nonprofit advocacy or policy-oriented organization.
- Experience managing a seven-figure portfolio of foundation donors and managing relationships with both program officers and internal colleagues to create the conditions for success.
- Experience writing foundation grant proposals and reports, as well as reviewing budgets and financial reports.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and prospect research skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Knowledge of Salesforce database is desirable.
- Familiarity with 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) regulations is a plus.
- Ability to work additional hours as needed to meet deadlines and manage workflow.
- Support for the mission of American Progress and commitment to a broad progressive agenda.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please follow the link to the position description on the Center for American Progress’ website to begin the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.