District of Columbia
The Media Relations Officer manages and executes Muslim Advocates’ media communications efforts and initiatives and supports broader advocacy campaigns.
This hire will report to our Public Advocacy Director. The Public Advocacy Department is the communications and campaigns arm of Muslim Advocates that engages with the media and online stakeholders, visions and executes public pressure campaigns, and grows the public profile of the organization.
The Media Relations Officer will collaborate across departments to promote the organization’s work in the media, help to manage and execute public pressure campaigns, and advance the interests of American Muslims through strategic communications and media engagement. We are seeking a talented and fast writer with a successful media relations track record. The Media Relations Officer should be self-motivated, detail-oriented, comfortable working collaboratively, and can thrive in a fast-paced work environment. The position will be based in our Washington, DC office.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Manages the media outreach of the organization in collaboration with key stakeholders and consultants.
- Drafts, edits, and distributes content for the media, including statements, releases, op eds, and emails.
- Manages and executes the organization’s rapid response efforts with the media.
- Liaises with development, legal, community engagement, and program staff to add media and campaign components and add value to organization-wide efforts.
- Serves as a backup for digital communications colleagues.
- Work experience:
- At least 2-3 years of experience in media relations, a strong writing background, and experience in political or advocacy communications.
- Experience building relationships and placing stories and op-eds.
- Experience successfully booking people on news programs.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills with strong editing skills required.
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects, meet deadlines and work in a fast paced environment with great attention to detail.
- Initiative, energy, and judgment.
- Critical thinking skills.
- A sense of teamwork and community.
- Highly organized.
- Interest in civil rights issues.
- Can-do spirit and a sense of humor.
About Muslim Advocates:
- Muslim Advocates is a leading national legal advocacy and educational nonprofit organization founded in 2005. Our mission is to use legal advocacy, policy engagement, and education to promote and protect equality, liberty and justice for Americans of all faiths, and to promote the full and meaningful participation of Muslims in American public life. For more information, visit: www.muslimadvocates.org.
Muslim Advocates offers a generous and competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, candidates should submit a resume, a cover letter describing their interest, skills and experience, and at least two relevant writing samples. Please submit your application to https://muslimadvocates.applytojob.com/apply/rz5IB6abH1/Media-Relations-Officer.