District of Columbia
Ayuda is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to providing direct legal, social and language access services; education; and outreach to low-income immigrants in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Since 1973, Ayuda has provided critical services on a wide range of issues, in the process acquiring nationally recognized expertise in a number of fields including immigration law, language access, domestic violence and human trafficking. Ayuda has office locations in Washington, DC and Falls Church, VA.
WHY YOU WANT THIS JOB?
Because, just like everyone at Ayuda, you believe:
- In seeing communities where all immigrants overcome obstacles to succeed and thrive in the United States.
- In the overall success of our organization and all our programs.
- That families should be healthy and safe from harm.
- That all people should have access to professional, honest, and ethical services, regardless of ability to pay or status in this country.
- That diversity and equality make this country better.
WHAT WILL THIS JOB ENTAIL?
Ayuda is seeking an experienced Staff Accountant to serve as a member of the Finance team and maintain financial reports, records, and general ledgers; prepare and analyze budgets; perform general bookkeeping; handle billing activities, such as accounts payable and accounts receivable.
Under the direct supervision of the Finance Director:
- Oversee the daily accounting activities and process and code all financial transactions required to maintain the general ledger in compliance with financial policies and procedures
- Update cash flow tracking documents
- Ensure all accounts payable including making sure that costs are appropriately documented and approved, entering transactions, and supporting the execution of payments
- Maintain accounts receivable records, ensuring records are comprehensive and all payments are properly applied
- Code and track all expenses to proper grants and contracts
- Maintain organized set of detailed records and files to document financial transactions
- Prepare and monitor sub-awards and contracts. Proactively track and manage timely submission of invoices, financial reports and payments
- Create and send invoices and pledge documents for corporate/foundation pledge commitments and shared office expenses (and follow up on payment status as appropriate)
- Create monthly grant financial reports and associated invoices, including all supporting documentation for reimbursement grants
- Reconcile bank accounts and manage month-end closing process; including monthly reporting (income statements, balance sheets, account registers)
- Prepare month-end analysis of financials for management and board
- Manage payroll processing
- Provide expense analysis for department budgets and monthly spending
- Support the preparation of financials for the annual report and supply financial information upon request (e.g. grant needs)
- Prepare schedules and compile all required financial documentation
- Provide independent audit firm with engagement support, including financial documentation, annual financial statements, and preparation of necessary schedules
- Support the annual budgeting process with historical documentation and analysis
- Other duties as assigned
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU CAN DO THIS JOB?
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Business, CPA preferred
- Minimum of 2 years accounting experience with nonprofit accounting experience preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Proficient in QuickBooks
- Professional demeanor, strong work ethic, resourceful, and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to communicate with a variety of people
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to initiate and follow through on work independently
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to meet assigned deadlines
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities
- Strong multi-tasking abilities
Salary commensurate with experience, plus a benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance, as well as an employer-provided retirement match. All federal holidays and closures observed and paid leave for the week of Christmas through New Year’s Day.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply with resume and cover letter. Writing samples may be requested.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Apply early for full consideration. No phone calls, please.
Ayuda is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive culture. It is Ayuda’s policy to be fair and impartial in all relations with employees and applicants for employment and to make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, marital status, gender identity or expression, disability, sexual orientation, or any other categories protected by federal, state, or local law. We encourage applications from members of underrepresented communities.
Ayuda’s dedication to social justice means that all positions will be committed to working with people from diverse cultural, linguistic, economic, educational, and vocational backgrounds.